Search for content in message boards

Feb 1896 News Article - Body of Man Found in Woods

Replies: 0

Feb 1896 News Article - Body of Man Found in Woods

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 7:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ryan
While trying to find an old news article about someone from Superior, Wisconsin who may have "gone missing" sometime after 1892, I stumbled upon the following newspaper article, which I transcribed. I don't think the article is about the person about whom I am searching, a man who was a peddler. It may prove of interest to someone else researching some ancestor who went missing in late 1895 or early 1896 in Douglas County, Wisconsin.

Note: The article is from an Eau Claire newspaper. There was probably a longer article in a Superior newspaper at the time, but so far I haven't found any Superior, Wis. newspaper images in any of the online databases.
+++++++

Transcriber: Jean E. DeLauche, March 21, 2013 – Sorry but I don’t know the page number from the newspaper. The very top of the page was not photographed for the image, which was probably originally on microfilm.

Morning Telegram, Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Saturday, February 15, 1896

PARTLY DEVOURED BY WOLVES.

Body of a Man Found in the Woods Near Superior

SUPERIOR, Feb. 14.--Henry F. Wolfe, a cooper residing here, made a ghastly discovery while hunting in about ten miles east of here this morning. He was following the tracks of some wild beast when he came upon the remains of a human body. The head was all that was visible, the remainder of the body being covered with four feet of snow. To all appearances the head had been uncovered by wolves or other animals of the forest. Not a particle of flesh remained upon the upper portion of the body, the bones having been picked clean by wild, beasts. The body rested upon the bare ground, proving beyond a doubt that it had been there since last fall. The man was dressed in the garb of a woodsman or explorer, and there was a gold ring on one of the fingers, but there were no papers or other articles about the person that might lead to identification. It. is believed by some that the body is that of the missing Dan Ryan, whose disappearance about six weeks ago excited the town of Brule. twenty-seven miles east of Superior.
++++++++

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions