Source: History of Dunn County (1925), page 944
Matt Knutson, proprietor of the farm in Section 28, town of Wilson, that was established by his father some 44 years ago, was born in Fillmore County, Minnesota, Nov. 4, 1868, son of Jacob and Anna (Ingebretson) Knutson. The parents came from Ringbo, Norway, where Jacob Knutson had worked some five years and also for 11 seasons on log drives. It was in June, 1869, that he came with his family to this country settling in Fillmore County, Minnesota, where he bought a farm. There the family remained 12 years, or until 1881, when Jacob Knutson disposed of his farm and came to Dunn County, Wisconsin, making the journey with a wagon and team. He took the homestead in Section 28, town of Wilson, now owned by his son Matt, the land being then covered with brush. For a temporary shelter he put up a small shack and then went to work to build a substantial log house, hauling lumber and shingles from the Mooney Mill at Hillsdale, Barron County. To reach their place they had pick their way slowly through the brush and timber, as there was no road. The clearing of the place was
largely done by the son Matt, though Jacob Knutson did some of it. It was necessary, however, to earn some money and so the father worked at the mason's trade and also did hunting and trapping, as well as fishing at Turtle Lake, supplying Knapp, Stout & Co. Company with fish for their store.
The parents spent the rest of their lives on this farm, Jacob Knutson dying in 1897, and Mrs Anna Knutson in 1911. They were typical pioneers, hardy, industrious and patient, and respected by their neighbors. They had six children, three of whom died on shipboard on the voyage from Norway, and one in Minnesota, the two survivors being Matt and Carrie, the latter being the wife of Otto Moen of the town of Wilson. Matt Knutson was 13 years old when he accompanied his parents to Dunn County. He had attended school in Fillmore County, Minnesota, and did so for a while after coming to the town of Wilson, Dunn County. As a boy he became accustomed to farm work and later worked five winters in the woods in connection with the lumber
industry. In time he bought the home farm and has since continued to improve it. He has built a cement-block house, a good frame barn and sheds and has cleared and broken a considerable amount of land. He carries on
general farming and dairying, having 15 head of mixed grade cattle and also raising Poland-China hogs. As a pratical farmer and good citiizen, the son of pioneer parents, he is widely known as respected. Mr Knutson was married
on his parents' farm, on Dec. 22, 1888 to Anna Halverson, daughter of Halvor Hanson and wife, the latter's maiden name having been Anna Christopherson. Her parents, natives of Norway, were early settlers in the town of Wilson, where they took a homestead on which in time they passed away. They had seven children: Hans, Anna, Anton, Peter (first), Peter (second), Tillie and Christ. Tillie, who married Louis Lind of Albertville, Chippewa County, is now a widow. Mr and Mrs Matt Knutson are the parents of six children: Anton, Henry, Julius, Alfred, Clara, Mabel, the last mentioned residing on the home farm. Clara is the wife of Peter Matson of Chippewa Falls. When this country was engaged in the World War, Henry was inducted into the service of the second draft and assigned to the veterinary departement of the army. He trained at Camp Grant, Illinois and subsequently served one year in France, being discharged in 1919. Albert was also inducted into the service and went to Camp Grant, but was soon discharged on account of physical disability, having undergone an operation.