Search for content in message boards

OBIT: Axel Björnberg (1858 - 1896)

Replies: 0

OBIT: Axel Björnberg (1858 - 1896)

Posted: 28 Jan 2012 7:57PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Björnberg, Johnson, Swift, Anders, Bolin, Nelson
April, 1896, Commonwealth. Axel Bornberg [Björnberg] died at his home in Commonwealth, from the effects of diabetes, at 3 o’clock last Monday afternoon. Funeral services were held at 2 o’clock Wednesday afternoon at the house and thence the procession started convening at the Commonwealth Church where pastor Johnson addressed the large audience that congregated, although a severe snow storm was raging. All work in and about the mine was abandoned for the day in respect of the sad occurrence. Most of the mine-workers with numerous friends of the deceased joining in the procession and following their departed friend to his last resting place on earth.

Mr. Bornberg [Björnberg] was born in Sweden in 1858 and came over to this country about seventeen years ago. Establishing himself at Norway, Mich., he subsequently engaged in mining continuing in this line of occupation he worked at Florence and several other towns on this range and was for many years past in the employ of the Commonwealth Iron Co. at its different mines. Due to exceptional skill and energy, he was soon tendered a position as foreman and for the last four and a half years has most satisfactorily performed the functions relating to the office of Night Captain at the Badger Mine.

Mr. Bornberg [Björnberg] was a very much respected citizen, of good morals and uncommon intelligence, which may be ascribed to his physical and temperate strength of character. Within the last couple years his health has left much to desire, his constitution gradually becoming weaker until last week Friday night he was found prostrated in the mine and taken to his home, he apparently remaining in an unconscious state nearly all the time till his death on Monday. At his bedside were his beloved wife, to whom he was married in the fall of 1892, and a sister who arrived from Chicago last Sunday morning, with nurses and hosts of friends that continually called and offered their assistance. This, with the faithful watch and medical attendance of Dr. E. P. Swift, could not save his life. His untimely departure leaves a mourning wife with two small children, aged about two years and one month respectively; two older sisters in Sweden and three younger sisters in America - Mrs. Carl Anders, of Rockford, Mrs. Bolin and Mrs. Nelson of Chicago.

Our heartfelt sympathy and condolence are extended to the bereaved family.

Source: Florence Mining News

Note: I guess I should include my own obit here. Thanks to Beanie for digging it up. The "two small children" were Clarence Ira "Tippy" Bomberg and Irene Viola Björnberg Anderson, mentioned in earlier obits.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions