Sampson obit

Replies: 18

Re: Keevill family(ies)

Sue Ellen (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2006 11:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Keevill, Sampson
Deb, Hi -

This is in reference to your 24 Jan 2005 comments regarding Elizabeth Keeville and her brother, E.J. Keeville.

I'm researching Civil War veterans of the 28th WI Inf, Co "K" whom enlisted in Waukesha County, WI. One of these soldiers, Edward J. Keevill, Jr. enlisted as a corporal in the 28th Wisconsin Regiment Infantry, Company "K", in New Berlin on 17 Aug 1862 and was mustered out at Brownsville, TX, 23 Aug 1865. He's been hard to trace beyond his muster out date, but I do know by looking back at earlier censuses, that he was the son of Edward J. Keevill, Sr.

I'm wondering if the EJ Keeville mentioned in your post is the same Edward J. Kievil, [Sr.] whom resided in New Berlin, Waukesha Co, WI, in 1860. According to the 1860 Federal Census, members of the Kievel household were:

E.J. Kievel, age 40, a clergyman of the Free Will Baptist Church, born Isle of Guernsey, England
Rosa T., age 41, born Isle of Guernsey, England
E.J. (male) age 17, student, born Isle of Guernsey, England
Elizabeth M., age 13, born Isle of Guernsey, England
Roswell R. age 4, born WI
Lucy M., born WI

The 1850 Federal Census for Eldorado, Fond du Lac, Co, WI, lists the Edward "Johncever" family (dwelling house #993), to wit:

Edward Johncever [Edward John Keevill?], age 30, farmer, born England
Lucy T. age 31 born England
Edward Jr. age 8 born England attending school
Elizabeth age 4 born in WI
Maria Keivill age 1 born in WI

Immediately next door, in dwelling house #994, residing with the Morris S. Barnum family, were:

Elizabeth Keivil age 22 born England
Thomas Keivil age 16 born England laborer
William Keivil age 13 born England

Would the above Elizabeth Keivil (age 22) be the Elizabeth Keeville that you are researching? It's possible that Elizabeth, Thomas and William Keivil in dwelling # 994 had a kinship connection to their neighbors in dwelling #993. Further, there may be a church-related connection between the two households, as a previous generation of Barnums were members of the early Freewill Baptist Church in Eldorado.

One of the leading genealogical servers on the web shows the following listing regarding Elizabeth Keeville:

Name: Elizabeth KEEVILLE
Birth: 2 AUG 1830 in Isle of Guernsey, Channel Islands, England
Death: 6 AUG 1901 in Fond Du Lac, WI
Spouse: Clark David Sampson b: 1819 in Brothertown, Oneida, NY
Married: 4 OCT 1857 in Calumet, WI
Children:
Emily Amelia Sampson b. 12 Aug 1854 Brothertown, Calumet, WI
James Duane Sampson b. 4 June 1858 Brothertown, Calumet, WI
Albert Clark Sampson b. 9 Apr 1863 Brothertown, Calumet, WI
Rose Sampson b. 10 Sep 1864 Brothertown, Calumet, WI

Any info that you might be willing to share regarding the Keevill family(ies) would be most appreciated.

I am particularly interested in EJ Keeville (1821-1884), the Baptist clergyman from Allensville, Winnebago Co, WI, that you mentioned in your post. For instance, what church did he establish and when? Where is he buried? The Edward J Keevill, Sr. of my research appears to have been a very devout Freewill Baptist who went from place to place to establish new congregations. I found another listing for Edward J. Keevill, a clergyman, in the 1870 Federal Census for Waverly Twp, Van Buren Co, MI. So far, I haven't found him in the 1880 Census.

Am also very interested in any info you might have regarding Edward J. Keevill, Jr. (b. ca. 1833, Guernsey, England). I don't know where he went after he left the Union Army in 1865. Unfortunately, I've been unable to locate his whereabouts in the 1890 Veterans Schedule. The 1870 & 1880 Federal Censuses for Greenleaf Twp, Sanilac Co, MI, list a Edward Kivell household, but I'm not certain that this data matches the subject(s) of my research.

Sue Ellen
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Sue Ellen 27 Apr 2006 5:06AM GMT 
ggmdam59 30 Apr 2006 7:54PM GMT 
ggmdam59 5 Jul 2010 12:16AM GMT 
Deb 24 Jan 2005 11:23PM GMT 
ggmdam59 5 Jul 2010 1:26AM GMT 
maureenkaiser... 30 Aug 2010 11:51PM GMT 
ggmdam59 31 Aug 2010 1:12AM GMT 
1_mhoey 23 Oct 2012 1:56PM GMT 
1_mhoey 22 Apr 2013 7:07PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions