Search for content in message boards

Waupan-prison? labor camp? criminal records?

Replies: 1

Waupan-prison? labor camp? criminal records?

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 8:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: STREESE, STRUSE, FRIEDRICH, KÄDING, EICHMANN
Hello,
I'm looking for how to find more information about this person:

STREESE(may have been spelled Struse), Christian Friedrich, who lived in Theresa, Dodge, in 1860, but later lived in Waupan Village. His "probable" son ( also Christian Friedrich Streese) b 1840 died 21 June 1878 in Fond du Lac. The only later reference I can find for him is an article (sorry? exact date?) stating he was charged with rape, in Waupan village area, and I can find no further info. The people he was living with in 1860, were extended relatives(Eva Streese(Struse, George, and a Christian Oswald), and they went different directions after 1860 so my questions:

1. Was there a prison or work camp of some type in that area? If so, would there be any records? And would be they accessible or private? Would such "criminals" be sent somewhere else during that era?

2. Any other suggestions of local newspapers that might mention something of that nature, for example, if he was really charged, jailed released, etc?

3. Which library in FDL has the best selection of directories/news articles where I might check for more information? or for Waupan? Probate worth checking? Did Waupan keep its own records or were they sent to Fond du Lac? Would there be any other types of records that maybe I'm not thinking about?

4. Any other ways to figure out if he died there? So far nothing at local cemeteries.

5.. I have most all of the information I need for his son, except the death certificate and 1878 obit for the son I haven't yet found; someone has already checked the courthouse, and State, no luck.

Other info on the descendants: The descendants changed the spelling of their name to Stracey, and some of them are buried at Hillside Cemetery with some of the FRIEDRICH family, married into the KADING family, also of Fond du Lac. The family owned a house in Ripon for 5 generations until recently. They mostly attended the church on Scott St. This direct line of STREESE/STRACEY, some of the FRIEDRICHS, KADINGS AND EVEN EICHMANN'S, all of Fond du Lac were primarily from Gralow and Karzig areas of Landsberg/Warthe, Brandenburg, now Poland.

Thanks so much for any leads for information! Sincerely, Pam

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pgosl 16 Oct 2013 2:28AM GMT 
mspletts 10 Dec 2013 12:50AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions