Schmidt

Replies: 26

Schmidt

Tim Raymond Matas (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Feb 2010 9:19AM GMT
Surnames: Schmidt, Reitz, Krug, Leohr, Seibel, Bechle, Wagner, Schwartz
My mother, Leretta (Schmidt) Matas, daughter of George Schmict and Marie Reitz, always told of an ancester who came to Fond du Lac County, Wis., from Germany and had a farm east of FDL, adjacent to the present Highway 23 on south side of road atop a hill, recently owned by Siss Coleman or Kohlman (only heard the name. Mom said that ancester had 13 children and gave each a farm in the county. Reitz, Schmidt, Loehr, Seibel, Wagner, Krug would almost have to be some of the names of that first generation of offspring, Other relatives unable to collaborate this story.
Going backwards, if that will help, using the quints as a reference point --- my mother's brother, Antoinne Schmidt, had one child, a daughter, who married Harvey Iding. They had three girls, one must be a maternal grandmother or great-grandmother of the quints.
Antoinne Schmidt, would also be a second cousin to Roy Seibel and a first cousin to Roy's Wife, Josephine Loehr. Mrs.Seible was still alive in March of 1999 when I was last there. One of her sons (Ray or Marvin) must be a grandfather aor great-grandfather of the quints.
Besides Roy Seibel, my mother would have Otto Krug as a second cousin.
I guess you can imagine all the first cousins from Arnold Schmidt across the board, Alvin Loehr etc.
Her siblings included Catherine or Katherine who died at age 18, Antoinne, August, Laura, Ella and Bertha. Ella (Schmidt) Bechler-Sabel is still alive. August's wife died 18 months after he was married and had no children. Laura had Ken Krug and Isabelle Krug, who married Carlton Krug. Ella married Leon Bechler and had a child still born and then George Bechler and Carol (Bechler) Behnke. Bertha married Arnold Bechler, Leon's brother, after his first wife, a Schwartz, died in childbird. By the way, Schwartz was a first cousin. Bertha and Arnold had one child, Adelle Teschendorf. Note that Adelle is my first cousin but her half-siblings are my second cousins. I am an only child. I married Carol Ann Stroede, who is from Vahsholz and Stroede and Weber stock that came from Germany to Wisconsin and then out to Kansas 120 or more years ago -- about 1880. We have two children, Timothy Paul 12/21/77 and Carol Marie 11/13/80. Both are enrolled in the honors program at the university of Nebraska. Timothy has an internship, working with the sate on economic development. He plans to graduate at Christmas and then begin working on a masters and law degree. Carol will be a sophomore next fall but is almost a sememster ahead credit-wise. She is studying psychology.
I would like to find out about the family with 13 or 12 children, if they ever existed. I would also like to see some kind of a document, if one exists, that ties all of us together. I have seen many family trees and find my immediate relatives on an outter branch but can never picture how they all fit together. It appears that everyone in the county is related.
Thanks for any help you can be.
Sincerely,
Tim R. Matas, publisher emeritus
All Valley Shopper
Chapman Advertiser
Enterprise Journal
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Tim Raymond Matas 29 May 2000 12:00PM GMT 
tracyreinhard... 29 May 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Warship1_1 3 Feb 2004 12:27AM GMT 
ktimme 19 Jul 2004 10:50PM GMT 
Tracy Reinhardt 19 Jul 2004 11:30PM GMT