Search for content in message boards

Help with Albert and Angeline Hall family of Grant County

Replies: 0

Help with Albert and Angeline Hall family of Grant County

Posted: 14 Sep 2012 6:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barnes, Frentress, Gillman, Hall, Ryan
I'm looking for information about the family of Albert Hall, born about 1820 in New York (possibly Oneida County), who married Angeline (m.n. unknown) from Oneida County. They had one son, Charles V. Hall, abt 1844, before leaving New York for Wisconsin. They had a daughter, Frances Virginia Hall, in Benton, Lafayette County, Wisconsin, in 1848, and they were still located in Benton in the 1850 census.

Sometime between 1849 and 1852, Albert and Angeline had their final child, Henry Asbury Hall. His line is the one I am most interested in.

Albert died 4 Jan 1853 at sea while en route to the California gold rush via the isthmus of Panama. His death notice in a San Francisco newspaper states that he was from Grant County, Wisconsin.

Angeline remarried after Albert's death to Moses Gillman, b abt 1821 in Maine. They, along with Angeline's three Hall children, were living in Hazel Green, Grant County, Wisconsin in 1860. Sometime between then and the 1880 census, they moved to East Dubuque, Illinois, where Angeline still lived as of 1890.

To summarize:

Albert Hall (b. abt 1820 NY, d. 4 Jan 1853 at sea)
m. abt 1842, probably in NY State, Angeline m.n. Unknown (b. abt 1821 NY, d. aft 1890). Angeline remarried to Moses Gillman, b. abt 1821 Maine.

Albert and Angeline had three children:

i. Charles V. Hall b. Jan 1844 New York, d. 10 Sep 1914 Indiana, bur. Marion National Cemetery, Marion, Indiana. Pvt. Co. I, 16th Wisconsin Vol. Inf., Civil War. He married a woman named Alice, b. abt 1857 (possibly Alice Barnes), and they had a daughter named Vida abt 1884. They may have been estranged, as Charles is listed in a widower in Home for Disabled Veterans in 1905.

ii. Frances Virginia Hall b. 9 Mar 1848 Benton, Lafayette Co., Wisconsin, d. 26 May 1922 Delaware Co., Iowa. She married Frederick Needham Frentress. They had 11 children and lived most of their lives in Delaware County, Iowa.

iii. Henry Asbury Hall b. abt 1851 Wisconsin, d. possibly bef 1910. He married Catherine Ryan, b. 22 Dec 1852 in Ireland, d. 22 Apr 1939 in Dubuque, Dubuque County, Iowa. Henry and Catherine had two children, Frances Asbury ("Frank") Hall, and Albert Charles Hall.

I was hoping someone would recognize this family or could help find any information. I'd especially like obituaries for Albert Hall, Angeline (m.n. Unknown) Hall Gillman, Moses Gillman, Henry Asbury Hall, and Charles V. Hall.

Thanks in advance,
Nancy Rutman

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions