Search for content in message boards

OATES & DAVIS FAMILY of PLATTEVILLE circa 1870's?

Replies: 14

Re: OATES & DAVIS FAMILY of PLATTEVILLE circa 1870's?

Posted: 14 May 2012 12:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 May 2012 12:12PM GMT
Hi All!

Well looks like the thread has gained momentum again!
( Or at least Ancestry has decided to start sending me emails again. )

Connie - sorry for the late delay - hope you're still following!

I looked up James & Sarah , and found the 1860 Census , but my G.G.Grandfather is not among their family. ( That's not to say they couldn't be other relatives. )

My problem is , I don't know his parents names. I know he was born in 1849 in Camborn,Cornwall. Then , as family rumour has it , he was supposedly a member of The Royal Guard , whom deserted for America. From there , we know he lived in Wisconsin , married Elizabeth Grace Davis there , moved to Michigan , and finally landed in Colorado. But , again , information is bleak , we know he died in Colorado , but no idea of exactly when or where! My Mom & I did a pilgrimage, last year, to the 3 mining towns the family lived in,but owing to poorly kept records...no luck.

Something though , that did amuse me , is the description of the Oates! William George Oates , reportedly stood around 6'5" to 6'7" tall. Nearly all the Oates men in my family stand between 6'1" to 5'11" - with one cousin at 6'3". ( We mostly seem to have a ruddy complexion. ). Maybe there's some sort of ancestorial clues in that , but it eludes me!

~ Mike Bryant - California

Sharon Oates - California

Alfred Lloyd Oates Sr. - Colorado

Joseph Frederick Oates Sr.-Colorado

William George Oates - Cornwall
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Vicki Vaughan 13 May 2012 11:22PM GMT 
clairoates1 14 May 2012 5:16PM GMT 
ConstanceKayL... 20 May 2012 4:00PM GMT 
HarVSatan 14 May 2012 6:08PM GMT 
kdhirsch 15 May 2012 11:44PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions