Search for content in message boards

Obit / cemetery lookup request: Charles Norton of Brooklyn, b. 1855, d. aft. 1920

Replies: 2

Obit / cemetery lookup request: Charles Norton of Brooklyn, b. 1855, d. aft. 1920

Posted: 30 Aug 2013 7:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Aug 2013 7:13PM GMT
Surnames: Norton, McDermott
I’m looking for an obit and/or cemetery records for my great grandfather, Charles Norton, who was born in 1855 in New York state, but moved to Green County in 1858 where he lived virtually his entire life, usually in Brooklyn, until the 1920 Census. His wife died in 1919 but I am not certain where he was after the 1920 Census or when or where he died.

There is a headstone at Mount Hope Cemetery in Brooklyn that names both Charles and his wife, but the year of Charles’ death on the headstone is blank. I imagine that if he was buried there, cemetery records would have recorded the burial, even if no one bothered to complete the headstone. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=72...

The most likely death record I have found is of the death of a Charles Norton in Kennewick, Benton County, Washington on 21 Oct 1921, but I have no clue as to why he might have been 1,500 miles from home. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N3G8-G72

The name of his father matches, the birth date is precisely one month off (8 Jun 1855, vs. the correct 8 May 1855) and I cannot find anyone else in that area within 20 years of 1921 that comes close to matching that record.

Kennewick in 1921 was a small railroad town and both Charles’ surviving sons were working for railroads in 1918, when one son was working at a railyard in Oelwein, Iowa and the other was working at a railyard in Enderlin, North Dakota. The son in Oelwein (my grandfather) had moved to Texas by mid-1920, but the other was in Montana in 1920.

Charles Norton and his wife, Mary (née McDermott) had many siblings, nieces and nephews in Green and Rock counties, so I would expect to see some form of notice, but have found nothing. (I have looked at newspaperarchive.com and many free online indexes.) I have found notices of Mary’s death in 1919, but no obit.

Thanks for any clues.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Daniel Norton 31 Aug 2013 1:05AM GMT 
Daniel Norton 7 Sep 2013 12:47AM GMT 
Daniel Norton 7 Sep 2013 2:26AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic