Search for content in message boards

Immigration Patterns - Cornwall to Mineral Point, WI

Replies: 5

Iowa County Cornish Immigration

Posted: 4 Mar 2001 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Nov 2006 3:53PM GMT
Surnames: Treglown, Crase, Hosking, Bowden, Wearne, Paynter, Sandoe, Richards, Bryant, Pope
Regarding Cornish Immigration to Iowa County: Hi, there are two PREDOMINANT routes, though many alternatives. During the major period of immmigration-late 40's through 50's-ships such as the Belle of Padstow and the Clio sailed between Cornwall and Canada, bringing immigrants over and Canadian timber back. Looking at ship logs, it seems that a common pattern was a fall and a spring sailing for each ship. These ships sailed into the St. Lawrence and made their way through the Great Lakes-a journey filled with natural perils and disease. Along the way immigrant parties departed the ship, one or more families at a time. At some point the Iowa County folks would switch to a smaller boat and go down Lake Michigan. I have a 250 page diary of a relative who describes this in great detail and there are a couple on-line diaries describing similar journeys. Once they made their way south, they debarked and employed oxen carts and other land "vehicles" to make their way to Dodgeville, Linden, and Mineral Point. Many Cornish also debarqued in Pennsylvania or New Jersey and then made their way overland. At least one of my shoe string relatives got to Iowa County up the Mississipi River, having sailed to New Orleans. I THINK if you type Cornish Diary into a good search engine you'll find the site with the details. If not, contact me and I'll find it for you and/or send you specific details from the diary I have. Good luck. By the way, "Captain Polkinghorn" of Hayle figures prominently in the diary and my gggrandmother who settled in Linden was a Richards from Illogan.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jlleffler 3 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
gayknutson 4 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
JulieBishopRi... 3 Jul 2001 3:59PM GMT 
clampshire 24 Jul 2001 3:12PM GMT 
jlleffler 7 Apr 2013 4:48PM GMT 
jlleffler 7 Apr 2013 4:49PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions