Search for content in message boards

Immigration Patterns - Cornwall to Mineral Point, WI

Replies: 5

Immigration Patterns - Cornwall to Mineral Point, WI

Posted: 3 Mar 2001 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 12:01PM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Nichols, Nicholls, Polkinghorn, Richards
Seeking advice concerning dominant transportation routes for immigrants from Cornwall to Mineral Point, Iowa Co., WI. My immigrant ancestors were Henry Nichols/Nicholls and his wife, Elizabeth Richards. Henry immigrated from Gulvall, St. Ives Parish, Cornwall in 1848. He settled in Mineral Point initially. In 1848, he sent for his wife, Elizabeth, and their 7 children. They moved to a farm in British Hollow, Grant Co., WI where they lived for about 7 years. In 1855, the family moved to Eagle River, Keweenaw Co., MI where Henry was employed as a miner at the Central Mine. In 1856, he was the first casualty at Central Mine when he was killed in a mining accident. He left behind his widow and 7 children. I'd like to be able to track down the name of the ship he sailed on as well as the one that brought his wife and children a year later. I read elsewhere that some ships came through Quebec and stopped at Grosse Ile which was the quarantine station. Then they made their way through Sault Ste. Marie to points south. Does anyone know how the majority of Cornish miners arrived in Mineral Point? Any info. is appreciated! THANKS!

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jlleffler 3 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
gayknutson 4 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
JulieBishopRi... 3 Jul 2001 3:59PM GMT 
clampshire 24 Jul 2001 3:12PM GMT 
jlleffler 7 Apr 2013 4:48PM GMT 
jlleffler 7 Apr 2013 4:49PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions