Search for content in message boards

Gravitz - Cvengros Connection to Hurley, Wisconsin

Replies: 2

Gravitz - Cvengros Connection to Hurley, Wisconsin

Posted: 19 Sep 2011 10:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gravitz - Cvengros
My father, Francis Joseph Gravitz, was the youngest son of Matthew and Mary Gravitz who resided in Hurley, Wisconsin.

My dad's sister, Lucille Marie Gravitz married Michael Cvengros in 1929, and they all are listed together in the same household in the 1930 US Census for Hurley, Wisc (although the transcribed version on Ancestry.com misspelled Gravitz as Granitz).

I am trying to trace back the Gravitz heritage, and understand Matthew and Mary immigrated from Lithuania (Poland) in the early 1900s, stopping briefly in England, where my aunt, Ann (Gravitz) Christensen (their first child) was born in London; and then they traveled to Canada and continued down to settle in Hurley, Wisconsin in 1905 where Matthew worked as a signalman for the railroad and had a small farm. Matther and Mary Gravitz' children included: Ann (Gravitz) Christensen, Lucille Marie (Gravitz) Cvengros, Matthew Gravitz, Francis Joseph Gravitz and Mildred (Gravitz) Gregory.

I haven’t found any information to substantiate Matthew and Mary Gravitz' immigration to the US; nor any information about exactly where they emigrated from, or who their forebears were.

I found the Iron County, Wisconsin board on Ancestry.com and thought I'd start this new thread to see if anyone had any information or suggestions on how to proceed.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pgravitz 19 Sep 2011 4:53PM GMT 
magabaker 22 Sep 2011 1:59PM GMT 
magabaker 22 Sep 2011 3:21PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic