Search for content in message boards

Nicholas Nauertz

Replies: 1

Re: Nicholas Nauertz

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 4:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Apr 2013 10:07PM GMT
Hello ~ I am not a descendant of the Nauertz family! But I happen to live in Juneau Co, just a few miles outside of the city of Mauston. I had viewed your query a few days ago, so while I was in town today I went to the library to check on any available records on your Nicholas for you.......!

FROM: JUNEAU COUNTY CHRONICLE - Mauston, WI [24 Feb 1946]

Died.
Mr. Nicholaus Nauertz was born at Wintrich in the Kingdom of Prussia, Sept. 30, 1834. At the age of eleven he came to this country with his parents and settled on a farm in Waukesha County, Wisconsin.

In 1856 he married Marie Katherine Bettendorf and settled on a farm in Lemonwear, Juneau Co., Wis. They remained on this farm until April 1893 when they moved to Mauston where he remained till Feb. 21, 1916 when he followed his wife to the life beyond.

Six children were born to the couple of whom three died in infancy. Florence Nauertz Nelson died July 31, 1897, and their daughters Almeda Nauertz and Mrs. Timon Davis and five grand children are left to mourn his loss.

In response to the call for volunteers to help crush the rebellion, Mr. Nauertz enlisted in Co. C. 16th Wis. Infantry Oct. 17, 1861 and served his company bravely and faithfully for three years and was honorably discharged Nov. 29, 1864.

Mr. Nauertz was widely known as a man who could be relied upon for honesty and integrity. Whatever came to his hands to do he did thoroughly and with a will. Since the death of his wife Mr. Nauertz has had the loving care and devotion of his daughters Mrs. Timon Davis and Almeda Nauertz. While the latter kept the house for him and did all in her power to make life pleasant, to her and his friends it has been plain that his steps have been gradually growing feebler and that he was hastening to join her whom he loved so much. He was confined to the house less than a week. The end came peacefully and quietly Monday morning Feb. 21.

Funeral service were held at his and his daughter's home at 2 P.M. yesterday, service conducted by Rev. G. H. R. Kershaw, and six of his comrades bore his body to its last resting place.

[above was transcribed as written in newspaper-with errors]

MAUSTON CEMETERY - Mauston, Juneau Co., WI [Lot 22]

Nicholas Nauertz 09/30/1834 - 02/21/1916
Pvt Co C 16th Wis Inf Regt
[CW Pension Record on Ancestry.com]

Katharine Nauertz 07/25/1834 - 02/24/1909
Christian Nauertz __________ - 05/25/1862 [1y-11m-27d]
Mary Nauertz __________ - 03/01/1865 [6y-8m-8d]
Agnes Nauertz __________ - 04/20/1866

By checking several Ancestry.com databases & Family Trees I found the following additional information, which is only a small fraction of what is available for this family.

NICHOLAS'S PARENTS: Christian Nauertz,Sr [1805 - 1863]
Elizabeth C. Schweistel [1803 - 1872]

HIS BROS & SISTERS: Susan Nauertz [1826 - 1903]
Jacob Nauertz [c 1828 - ?]
John Nauertz [c 1829 - ?]
Malio Nauertz [c 1831 - ?]
Nichoas Nauertz [1834 - 1916]
Christian Nauertz, Jr [1837 - 1863]
Michael Nauertz [1840 - 1917]
Catharine Nauertz [1843-1920]
Peter Nauertz [c 1845 - 1900]

Parents & all 9 children were born in Germany(Prussia). They departed Europe from St Michael, Azores aboard the Ship Aliguash. Their Port of Arrival was Boston, Mass on 22nd of September 1846. Upon arrival in Wisconsin they settled in New Berlin, Waukesha Co., WI.

Christian Sr., Christian Jr. & Michael are all buried at the St. Mary's Visitation Cemetery in Elm Grove, Waukesha Co., WI.

Add'l notes on some of the sibings named above:

Susan - married John Newkirk [res@ Baraboo, Sauk Co, WI]
Jacob - married Mary (?)
Christian Jr. - married Wilhemine Reinders
Catharine - married Charles Vogel [res@ New Berlin,
Waukesha Co., WI]
Peter - married Sophia Barnekow [Peter went to Fayette Co,
Iowa]
Hope this helps you in your research. There are several people who seem to be researching this family & have info posted on the 'Family Trees'. If I can be of any further assistance to your search here in Juneau County, please don't hestitate to ask....I love to help others whenever I can!

Just a quick comment....I thought it was ironic that you posted your query on 03 April. That is my birthdate! And in another query you have, regarding Nauertz's in Fayette Co., IA - ironic as well as my maternal grandmother was born and raised in Arlington, Fayette Co., IA! SMALL WORLD!

Trish

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
carshow21 3 Apr 2013 5:57PM GMT 
Seeker_61 25 Apr 2013 10:49PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions