Search for content in message boards

Germans from Trier/Bitburg who emigrated to Paris/Brighton Townships

Replies: 13

Germans from Trier/Bitburg who emigrated to Paris/Brighton Townships

Michael Voves (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2002 3:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have traced the origins of many German families who settled in Paris and Brighton Townships. Most of the information I have dates each family back to the mid-1700s, although some goes as far back as the early 1600s. I may be able assist persons looking for origins of the following families - and I would be interested in obtaining any old photos of the immigrants to Paris/Brighton or their children:

1. Frederick (Friedrich). In May of 1855, Theodor Friedrich (later Frederick) emigrated to Paris, Kenosha County from Germany. Theodor Frederick later married Margaret Wallrich (see Wallrich family below). In 1857, Theodor’s parents Matthias Friedrich and Margaret Krämer emigrated to Paris with Theodor’s remaining siblings, among them a younger brother Theodor. The younger Theodor later served in the Union Army and is listed among Civil War veterans buried in St. John's Cemetery in Paris. He married Katherine Stollenwerck and lived in Somers Township.

2. Wallrich (Wallerich). In June of 1855, Matthias Wallerich, with is wife Angela Gaspar and their children, emigrated to Brighton, Kenosha County from Germany. In Brighton, Matthias Wallerich built a log cabin for his family. (Some years later, when the U.S. military was demolishing buildings in Brighton to make room for an Army practice area, this cabin was found within the walls of a farmhouse. The cabin was ultimately turned over to the County Park Department and re-erected in the Fox River County Park.). In 1878, after his wife died, Matthias moved with his daughter Susan to Ashton, Iowa, where he joined several of his children.

3. Terry (Thiry). In November of 1846, Wilhelm Thiry (later William Terry), with his wife Margaret Büchel and their children, emigrated to Paris, Wisconsin. Wilhelm Thiry purchased about 60 acres in Section 10 of Paris Township. His son Franz (later Franklin Terry) fought in the Wisconsin Siegel Regiment in the Battles of Chancelorsville and Gettysburg. The Terry family (along with the Fonk and Mich families) helped finance the building of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Paris.

4. Fonk (Fonck/Funck/Funk). In August of 1846, Phillip Fonk, with his wife Margaret Siebenborn and their children, emigrated to Paris. Phillip purchased twenty acres of government land in Paris. Phillip was a farmer and mason by trade. He layed the foundation for St. John the Baptist Church. His daughter Mary Fonk married Nikolaus Spartz (see below). His son John was also a noted citizen in Paris.

5. Spartz and Eppers Families. In the spring of 1848, Johann Peter Spartz emigrated to Kenosha County with his wife Luzia (Lucy) Eppers and their children. John Peter's son Nikolaus farmed in Paris and was a noted resident. Lucy's Eppers' brother Valentin Eppers also emigrated to Brighton.

6. Tures and Neu Families. In 1873 Matthias Neu emigrated to Kenosha to avoid compulsory military service in the German army. He farmed in Paris Township. Some years later, a cousin to Matthias named Nikolaus Tures emigrated to Paris from the same village in Germany. He also sought to avoid compulsory military service. He married Lucy Spartz, daughter of Nikolaus Spartz (see above).

7. Seivert (Seiwert). Matthias Seivert and his wife Susanna Leuck emigrated to Brighton in 1850. Their son Michael married Mary Ann Spartz. Their son Nicholas married a Wallrich and moved to Ashton, Iowa. Their son Matthias also relocated to Ashton, Iowa.

8. Greenwald (Grunewald). In the fall of 1855, Nikolaus Grünewald (later Greenwald), with his wife Maria Steinbach and their children, emigrated to Kenosha County. Nikolaus' daughter Anna married Nicholas Terry (see above) and farmed in Paris. Other Greenwald members may have lived in Kenosha city.

9. There are many other connected families of German origin in Paris/Brighton/Somers townships which I have not been able to trace, including Stollenwerk, Carl, Drissel, Gill, Huck, Mich and Hensgen. I strongly suspect some of these names come from nearby the same villages as the aforementioned families. If you have additional information about these families, I may be able to assist.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Michael Voves 6 Oct 2002 9:56PM GMT 
JudithNylvek 8 Oct 2002 3:10AM GMT 
Michael Voves 9 Oct 2002 1:24AM GMT 
Judith Nylvek 10 Oct 2002 5:40AM GMT 
Phillip Daube... 13 Jul 2008 5:38AM GMT 
GaryRRebholz 6 Dec 2013 7:05PM GMT 
Michael Gill 22 Jan 2003 11:54PM GMT 
susan93047 21 Feb 2003 4:30AM GMT 
Mike 5 Apr 2003 5:45PM GMT 
Ann Branchini 25 Jan 2014 8:33PM GMT 
per page