I'm trying to find the parents and grandparents of Joseph David Riggs, b Oct 1869, Wisconsin. He was married to Mabel Grace Betsworth, b Sep 1883, Iowa. Family records say that Joseph's parents were Joseph Riggs and Anna Prosser, who were md. 21 Jul 1867 in Kenosha Co., Wisconsin.
Census records for Joseph David:
1930 Census, Fox Lake Village, Lake Co., ILL
Riggs, Joseph D., Head, 60, age 29 @ 1st marriage, Wisc, Wisc, Wisc, Marshall, Munipal
Riggs, Mabel Grace, Wife, 46, 16 @ 1st marriage, Iowa, ILL, Eng
Riggs, Dwight E., son, 24, Wisc, Wisc, Iowa, Truck driver, Oil
Riggs, Glenn E., son, 8, Ill, Wisc, Iowa
1910 Census, Salem, Kenosha Co., Wisconsin:
Riggs, Joseph David, 40, Wisc, Wales, Wales
Riggs, Mabel, ?26, Iowa, ILL, Eng
Riggs, Myron, son, ?6
Riggs, Dwight, son, 4
Riggs, Leslie, son, 1
1900 Census, Eagle, Waukesha Co., Wisconsin:
Riggs, Joseph, head, Oct 1869, 30, Wisc, Eng, Wisc, Day laborer, renting
Riggs, Mabel, wife, Sep 1883, 16, Iowa, ILL, England
1880 Census, Salem, Kenosha Co., Wisconsin:
Prosser, David, 58, farmer, Wales, Wales, Wales
Prosser, Winnie, 56, wife, Wales, Wales, Wales
Prosser, Jennie, 25, dau, Wisc, Wales, Wales
Prosser, Winnie, 17, dau, Wisc, Wales, Wales
Riggs, Joseph, 10, g-son, Wisc, England, Wales
1870 Census, Salem, Kenosha Co., Wisconsin:
Prosser, David, 49, farmer, Wales
Prosser, Winnifred, 46, keep house, Wales
Prosser, John, 17, son, Wisc
Prosser, Jane, 14, dau, Wisc
Prosser, Eliza, 12, dau, Wisc
Prosser, Mary, 10, dau, Wisc
Prosser, Winnifred, 6, dau, Wisc
Prosser, Abraham, 4, Wisc
1. Joseph David Riggs was b Wisconsin, 1868, and md. Mabel Grace Betsworth circa 1901.
2. Father (by family lore) Joseph Riggs x Anna Prosser
3. There is a marriage for a Joseph Riggs & Anna Prosser, m. 21 Jul, 1867, Kenosha Co., Wisc., fine timing for Joseph David's birth in 1869.
3. Census records show wildly different birthplaces for Joseph David's parents:
1930: Wisc, Wisc
1910: Wales, Wales
1900: Eng, Wisc
4. If Prosser's g-son Joseph, is same child, his parents were b England, Wales
5. 1880 Census records for Kenosha Co., Wisc. show a bunch of Riggs (in addition to little Joseph David living w/ Prossers):
A. John Riggs, 63, Eng, Eng, Eng
w/wife, Mary, 54, Ire, Ire, Ire (& 2 children)
B. James Riggs, 30, Eng, Eng, Eng
w/wife, Ann, 30, Wales, Wales, Wales (& 2 children)
C. John C. Riggs, 39, Eng, Eng, Eng
w/wife Mary J., 30, Wisc, NY, NY (& 5 children)
D. George Riggs, 21, Eng, Eng, Eng
w/ 3 children, Riggs surname, boarders
E. Andrew Riggs, 21, servant, Eng, Eng, Eng
F. Riggs, John, 12, boarder, Wisc, Eng, Wisc
Comment: A-E all had parents both born England. Are they related?
Question: is this last John a brother to Joseph David? Parents???
6. Two Riggs families were also there in the 1870 census: (A)John & Mary A., and (B) James & Ann E.
I've searched for on-line families of these Riggs, and have found nothing as yet.
Do any of you know anything about these Riggs families? Any ideas as to Joseph David's father (perhaps a Joseph)? This is a brick wall for me!