Search for content in message boards

Atkinson/Lewis

Replies: 4

Re: Atkinson/Lewis

Posted: 17 Aug 2012 1:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lewis
Did you find this article?

(The archives at the Univ of La Crosse has a book that gives the details which I found online)
In 1848, 3 Lewis brothers settled in the Township of Farminton, along Fleming Creek, in an area they names Lewis Valley. Their names were Lloyd, Lodowick, and Lorenzo. They built the 1st saw mill, and grist mill. Lloyd Lewis's home was the very 1st Post Office for the area, and they named it the MINDORO Post Office. Lloyd was the 1st Postmaster, and Lodowich was the 1st mail carrier for Mindoro.
The entire family consisted of Lloyd(Job) Lewis, Margaret Lewis, sons: Luther, Lloyd, Lorenzo, Lodowick; daughter, Lucy. The family coming from New York had settled briefly in Illinois in 1846. Margaret died in 1846 and is buried around Lewis Valley. Her daughter Lucy died shortly after her. Most of the family eventally left Mindoro. Luther moved to Red Wing, Pierce County and then to Florida for 15 years, returning to Superior, WI, and died in 1902 at the age of 85. Lloyd also died in Superior in 1902 at 99 years of age. It also mentioned that a grand daughter had stayed in the Lewis Valley area, and that may have been Olivia Lewis.
Olivia M. Lewis's father, Lorenzo L. Lewis died in Gervais, Marion, Oregon. Olive Sykes (Wild) used to tell her grandaughter, Gertrude Ann Wild, how she had learned to ride on an Indian pony in Oregon. She also had a diary which I found on our family farm in Mindoro which had daily notes, and etched pictures of the fruits she found in Oregon. Considering one census record I found in Cananda, where Olive Sykes was traveling with her grandparents (Lawrence Frank and wife Olivia M Lewis), I presume they had been to Oregon to see Lorenzo. We always thought that grandma's family had immigrated by way of the Oregon coast with the English Hudson Bay fur trading, but now we can see that they actually traveled from New York across the entire country and eventually back to Wisconsin.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MarjorieNN 27 Jun 2009 7:17PM GMT 
unclarity 14 Jul 2009 1:12AM GMT 
unclarity 14 Jul 2009 1:58AM GMT 
unclarity 14 Jul 2009 3:29AM GMT 
gtctmc 17 Aug 2012 7:48PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions