Search for content in message boards

Czechs of Manitowoc County

Replies: 12

Re: Czechs of Manitowoc County

Posted: 16 Apr 2011 10:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kubs, Kubsh, Kubsch, Marek
David,

I too just saw your message from 10 Jul 2009.

My grandparents, John Kubs and Mary Marek were married in Manitowoc County on 24 Feb 1881 at Kellnersville. John immigrated with his parents on 11 Nov 1872 arriving at the port of Balitimore. I have his immigration record and declaration of intent for citizenship but they gave more wrong information than good. I got very lucky because my mother had some old papers of her father and one was a vaccination certificate when he was a year old. It not only gave the village he was from, it even gave the house number. He was born in house #8 in Stanetice which is close to Domazlice. My sister hired a researcher to look for his birth record which was found in the Register of Births for Stanetice in the Town Hall of Domazlice. I have a photocopy of the birth record which not only gave the name of his parents but his grandparents as well.

I have not been as fortunate with the parents of my grandmother. Again I have the immigration record and the declaration of intent. My grandmother was born in Wisconsin but her parents arrived on 27 Aug 1861 aboard the bark Union also at the port of Balitimore. The interesting part about the passenger manifest is that of the 107 passengers on board, 71 were from Bohemia with a final destination of Wisconsin. I almost keep hoping to find some village in Bohemia that just moved to Wisconsin.

Both families eventually moved to Antigo, Wisconsin although John had six brothers who remained in the Manitowoc area spelling their names as Kubsh or Kubsch.

So I can say that at least one family who settled for awhile in Franklin Township was from Domazlice area.

Bill Richards

You can always contact me at at wrichards729@msn.com

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kruegertkk 9 Nov 2012 2:29AM GMT 
deleclair2007 5 Dec 2012 12:39AM GMT 
wrichards729 17 Apr 2011 4:40AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic