Search for content in message boards

Old Baptist Cemetery of Pound, WI

Replies: 1

Old Baptist Cemetery of Pound, WI

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 10:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ermis
Just outside the village of Pound, Wisconsin, on 17th road just south of where it crosses Hwy 64, is the "Old Baptist Cemetery". (lat/lng = 45.10810, -88.04463)

Most graves are unmarked and many of the remaining tombstones have descriptions that are completely worn away. The grass is being cut and the cemetery maintained. A partial index of marked tombs can be found at:
http://files.usgwarchives.net/wi/marinette/obituaries/old.tx...

I am searching for anyone that has records or knows who keeps the old records for this cemetery that includes who is buried here, in which plots they are buried, and how the plots are organized in the cemetery.

The community of Pound had an influx of East Prussian settlers that came after leaving hardships in Volhynia after 1886. Those settlers, many of the Baptist faith, who died prior to 1910, were buried in this Baptist Cemetery. In 1909, the "New Baptist Cemetery", now called the "First Baptist Cemetery" opened in Pound. The First Baptist Cemetery is still in use today.

I am researching many families from this area who have relatives buried in the Old cemetery. I am particularly interested in finding the grave of my direct ancestors Ludwig Ermis (1822-1911) and his wife Charlotte Ermis (Bieber) (abt 1830-abt 1900).

I have personally inquired with the First Baptist Church, Pioneer Baptist Church, town officals, and members of the community. No one was able to confirm who currently manages the cemetery and who might hold the old records. I live out of state which makes this investigation challenging.

Although maintained today, stories from family say that this cemetery was heavily wooded and not maintained as recently as 1950. When the trees were cut and the cemetery cleaned up, the tombstones were put back "as best as possible".

I turn to the greater genealogical community for assistance in identifying those who rest there.

Michael Glime
mglime@gmail.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mglime1 24 Sep 2012 4:45AM GMT 
BusterUSMC 8 May 2014 1:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions