Search for content in message boards

Nicholas and Phillipine Martin on 1860 Milwaukee Co. Census

Replies: 10

Re: Nicholas and Phillipine Martin on 1860 Milwaukee Co. Census

Posted: 15 Feb 2009 3:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Martin, Hinnenthal, Schoenhals
My family is distantly related to the Martins of which you speak...I think.

My gr-gr-grandparents were Philip and Maria Schoenhals. Their daughter, Maria, married Philip Martin, son of Peter and Wilhelmine (Fischer) Martin on May 8, 1900. The Schoenhals's oldest daughter, Caroline, married the Reverend Wilhelm Hinnenthal, Pastor of St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Franklin, in June 1877.

Wilhelm is my great-grandfather. His first wife, Minna, died as a result of complications from childbirth; their daughter Wilhemine, was baptized by her father on July 9, 1876. The following baptismal entry in the church books is that of Georg Carl Martin, son of Peter and Mina (geb. Fischer)Martin, on July 12, 1876. Godparents are Martin Martin, Carl Fischer and Frau Weiss. Is this the George Martin to whom you are related?

If you look at the 1880 census for Peter Martin and his family, the Hinnenthal family appears a few lines ahead of them. We have often wondered if Mina Martin nursed her son and my gr-aunt due to the children's closeness in age. My father's middle name is Martin and over the years we have come to the conclusion that it was derived from a closeness between the Hinnenthal and Martin families of Franklin.

In any event, would love to connect, if you are intereted. I am especially interested in tracking any living members of the Philip Martin / Maria Schoenhals marriage, if you are in contact with them.

Lynn (geb. Hinnenthal)

PS - I believe that St. Paul's does have a cemetery...I remember finding Minna Hinnenthal's grave many years ago. My recollection, however, is that it is not physically "attached" to the church but is a short distance away. If you are interested, I can check with my dad who will probably recall the specifics better than I.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rinicker 30 May 2007 1:08AM GMT 
ranslady 11 Feb 2009 6:40AM GMT 
rinicker 12 Feb 2009 8:55PM GMT 
ranslady 13 Feb 2009 3:14AM GMT 
lhillman 15 Feb 2009 10:39PM GMT 
ranslady 15 Feb 2009 11:47PM GMT 
GaryRRebholz 12 Sep 2011 8:12PM GMT 
lhillman 13 Sep 2011 2:47AM GMT 
ELLinSpain 13 Sep 2011 9:24AM GMT 
grebholz 17 Jun 2012 5:04PM GMT 
per page