Search for content in message boards

sohland Family

Replies: 9

Re: sohland Family

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 2:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Schafer, Sohland, Stünkel
WOW! You nailed it! Thank you so much as I'd been looking for this unsuccessfully since I found the passport app. This gives me the idea that he, they must be in the directory under Schafer?

By the way, thought you might like to see the "rumors" I've gotten from the other side of the Atlantic that make me question Alfred's identity and origin. Researching this in Germany has me stumped right now, those I've contacted have no idea how to proceed.

Distant cousin Georg wrote me from Germany 23 Sep 1998:
First of all, Alfred Sohland was born in Austria and yes, he had a conflict with the law, he killed somebody in a duel (Zweikamf um Ehre?). This was the reason to leave Germany, at first alone, his wife Dora Stünkel followed. But they came back later to Germany together with a son and a daughter Dora, took a flat in Hannover and he, Alfred, went near the border to Austria to get money from his “Erbschaft” (Inheritance). My mother told me that he had success and they left Germany immediately and in time. Some days later police asked for him. So they had luck.
But during the passage to USA they had bad luck: their son died because of Typhus and they had to bury him on sea. My mother is convinced that this is the very reason that they never came back. Again: at the moment, the classification must be ‘rumor’ …
In a postscript Georg added Sat, 24 Oct 1998:
My mother Hedwig again confirmed the story of a journey of Alfred and Dora Sohland back to Germany with more details: it must be in 1909 or so (actually it was 1908) because my grandmother Emma=Emmy was in the age of 17 and her aunt Dora asked her to go with them (good for me that she decided to stay in Germany;-)). And my mother confirmed explicit that Emma didn’t use the word aunt as children often do to adults. By the way, if the story is true, the secret police missed them and they lost a son (???) during the journey back on the Atlantic.

Of course I'd love to uncover the full story if anyone has any ideas of a next step?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
melda1 26 Mar 2010 5:19AM GMT 
ELLinSpain 28 Mar 2010 3:16PM GMT 
melda1 28 Mar 2010 8:11PM GMT 
ELLinSpain 28 Mar 2010 3:28PM GMT 
melda1 28 Mar 2010 7:39PM GMT 
ckbswg 28 Mar 2010 8:18PM GMT 
melda1 31 Mar 2010 6:44PM GMT 
ckbswg 2 Apr 2010 12:58PM GMT 
melda1 9 Apr 2010 1:07AM GMT 
GaryRRebholz 20 Mar 2013 11:51PM GMT 
per page