Search for content in message boards

Milwaukee's German Newspapers Index at "Germany Under Glass 2013"

Replies: 2

Re: Milwaukee's German Newspapers Index at "Germany Under Glass 2013" w/picture!

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 8:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Mar 2013 6:19PM GMT
Surnames: Becker Schimmelpfennig Knopp Suter
"Germany Under Glass 2013" was a successful event. I've posted a photo.

The database is extensive and can be very useful for people with German roots in Milwaukee - especially to help find "the other 99%". But the value of these research finds is in the eye of the researcher: whether or not you've already amassed binders full of records on a relative, the German clippings are direct evidence of how they communicated within _their_ community about family deaths, marriage anniversaries, engagements, notable birthdays, and a wide variety of other occasions.

You can find dates for the 19th/early 20th C. names in your list at online sites like the Wisconsin Historical Society website.
My index indicates:
(death notices) Carl Becker d. 1903
(death notices) *Wilhelmina Knopp Becker Suter d. 1905
(many possible matches) Carl Becker d. ?
(death notices) Rosalie Becker d. ca. 1892
(death notices) *Olga Becker Schimmelpfennig d. 1904
(death notices) *Otto Becker d. 1905
Clara Becker d. ca. 1889
(possible matches) Arthur Becker d. ?

I won't also be funding a free online site, or donating the data to any free site. I made an offer to a local institution of the ongoing project in lieu of unfunded sponsorship. My interest is to highlight Milwaukee's German-American history found in a library collection (not in beer bottles). Being accorded that status has been effectively blocked but I'm sticking to my goal of some sort of sponsorship until forced to create a pay site.

"Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950).
Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007... helping to access our historic German-American culture.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
GaryRRebholz 1 Mar 2013 8:51PM GMT 
skyeswom 1 Mar 2013 11:59PM GMT 
GaryRRebholz 4 Mar 2013 3:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions