Search for content in message boards

Immigrants from Bohemia to Monroe County

Replies: 11

Re: John Thomas (Jan Tomas) immigration in 1852 from "Chotzen, Bohemia" via Hamburg

Posted: 11 Sep 2012 9:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you Richard! This is a little like Christmas in September!

I have not dabbled in foreign language records, fortunately most I have encountered from Poland (baptisms, marriages) were either translated, or in Latin. Not my language, either, but able to decipher what was needed.

Thank you for connecting the Thomas family to their hometown; it is a tremendous help to find a spot on a map & see how far they traveled, then how they connected when in America.

Now I am wondering what language the Thomas family would have spoken -- if they would have had enough German to converse with others? I ask because John Jr's future wife Mary traveled with [her aunt] a woman from Poland whose husband (already in U.S.) was known to speak Polish & German -- he professes German, not Polish, ancestry.

I wonder if the marriage was acceptable because both Mary & John Thomas Jr. spoke German? Her parents did not arrive in U.S. until after her marriage. (The aunt witnessed marriage.)

Thank you again for the time & research you have put into this line. I have another Bohemian name in my tree, Tiber, but at present do not have access to further information about their immigration, etc.

I am so pleased to know John & Catharina's maternal grandparents' names & paternal grandparents' names.

As we continue to research our Domagala roots I will stay in touch via this board. We are hopping to get through any possible American records so that we can hire a Polish researcher who has done some work for a distant cousin on this branch. I had not been familiar with the Neas name.
Did they come directly to Wisconsin or travel through Chicago? We know that some of our great, great uncles stayed in Chicago (Kruk not Domagala). Two came to Monroe County & one returned to Chicago.

Again, many thanks. I will look through my church records to see if I have information about where John Thomas Sr. & Cecelia died. I know that John Thomas Jr. died of pneumonia from a letter written recounting family history in South Dakota. It's a tangled tale.

Many thanks, Richard!
Nancy

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RadomirZelena... 9 Sep 2012 4:20AM GMT 
AE1415 10 Sep 2012 2:47AM GMT 
RadomirZelena... 10 Sep 2012 5:44AM GMT 
AE1415 10 Sep 2012 2:34PM GMT 
RadomirZelena... 11 Sep 2012 4:04AM GMT 
AE1415 10 Sep 2012 6:26PM GMT 
AE1415 11 Sep 2012 2:23AM GMT 
RadomirZelena... 11 Sep 2012 4:28AM GMT 
AE1415 11 Sep 2012 3:14PM GMT