Search for content in message boards

Immigrants from Bohemia to Monroe County

Replies: 11

Re: John Thomas (Jan Tomas) immigration in 1852 from "Chotzen, Bohemia" via Hamburg

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 10:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Re: Jan Tomas joins Franz Novotny in 1852 from Chocen to WI
My Novotny family had ties to Chocen, Cz, Caledonia, Racine, WI and Ridgeville, Monroe, WI. The Novotny family left Bohemia sometime after Oct. 7, 1852 on the ship Elise and arrived at Castle Gardens, NY on Dec. 6, 1852. They settled first in Caledonia and later moved to Ridgeville in the late 1860's. Franz and Theresa Novotny are both buried in Ridgeville.

From information obtained from a certificate of birth of one of Franz's children: Franz Novotny of #23 was married to Therzie(Theresa) Houdek the daughter of Franz (Frantisek) Houdek and Cecelie Koutnik residents of #273 and all were from Chocen.

I assume the John (Jan) Tomas was a cousin-in-law to the children of Franz Novotny. The Tomas name was familiar to me as I had run across the name in some of the papers and photos I had inherited. Small world. I often wondered if some of the Bohemian community in Monroe Co. and Racine Co WI were not from the same areas of Bohemia. One mystery solved. There was another Houdek family that lived in the same areas and I suspect that family may be related somehow, too.

Thank you for providing the link to the mystery of the ties of the Tomas family to the Novotny and Houdek families!!

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
AE1415 12 Sep 2012 12:31PM GMT 
Boh14 12 Mar 2013 4:21AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions