Search for content in message boards

Cornelius HISHON

Replies: 9

Re: Cornelius HISHON

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 8:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
some Hishon were very early settlers of Albion, but they later moved.
I have followed another family, the Eedy from Cork who first moved to the Gore, and then in 1842, when the Canada Company made their rules easier to lease and buy land in the "Huron Tract", part of the family moved to the Huron Tract, meaning Biddulph, along with many neighbours.

At a guess, it is quite possible that a similar situation happened with the Hishon. Especially given that Cornelius died in May 1841 and his widow remarried a Fitzpatrick, they would not have been included in the move of the rest of the Hishon family to Perth County. They probably stayed behind with the Fitzpatrick.

The Hishon leased land from an early date (which I am trying to figure out) and the lot was split with Ann Hishon, Cornelius and James McDonnell.

In fact, this is a very typical Irish settlement pattern, with one male coming first, settling, etc and then other members of the family including elderly parents arriving later, and then using the experience gained in settlement such as the Gore before moving as a group to a new settlement just opening up in the Bush.

The history of the settlement of the Toronto Gore township is filled with these families.

Some went to Biddulph, some went to Grey County, some went to Bruce, later they went to Michigan or out to Manitoba.

I'll look at the Township papers at AO, maybe I'll find something about the earliest lease.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Corinne Redmond Cline 28 Dec 2003 2:50AM GMT 
Corinne Redmond Cline 11 Dec 2005 7:37PM GMT 
KatherineHull 19 Nov 2008 4:48PM GMT 
gpetrin169 10 Mar 2012 10:17PM GMT 
AngusCline 11 Mar 2012 1:13AM GMT 
gpetrin169 11 Mar 2012 1:47AM GMT 
AngusCline 11 Mar 2012 2:52AM GMT 
gpetrin169 11 Mar 2012 5:25AM GMT 
AngusCline 11 Mar 2012 1:46PM GMT 
gpetrin169 11 Mar 2012 2:53PM GMT 
per page