Search for content in message boards

Hells in Friestadt

Replies: 5

Re: Hells in Friestadt

Posted: 6 Jan 2009 1:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,

I have a connection to this family. The Wolf family emigrated in 1839 aboard the ship Alfred, arriving in NY on 05 Sep 1839. The passanger list shows:

Hanna
Frederica
Caroline
W.
Maria
F.
Louisa

Hanna was a widow at the time. The family is listed in Iwan's book as living in Plathe, Kreis Regenwalde when they filed papers to leave Prussia (this does not mean they were born there). Another Wolf family traveled on the ship Britannia in 1839 - not sure if they are related.

The Wolf family may have spent a few years in Buffalo before continuing on to Wisconsin. It does not appear they were part of the approximately 40 families that came to Wisconsin in 1839 and established the settlement of Freistadt.

Iwan reports that Wilhelm Hell emigrated in 1839 without permission, he was living in Muddelmow, Kreis Regenwalde before he left. He was a "Knecht" (a servent or helping hand) before he left. I think it is a good assumption that he did not have the funds to buy land when he first arrived. He probably spent time working in the Buffalo area or working on the canals before continuing on to Wisconsin.

He purchased a 40-acre parcel of government land in the Freistadt community on 22 Mar 1842 and then an 80-acre parcel on 15 Jul 1843.

The book "Freistadt and the Lutheran Immigration" tells us Johann Carl Wilhelm Hell was born 04 Apr 1817 and died 25 Apr 1900. It says he was from Walzleben by Gollnow, Kreis Coeslin. The book has a picture of Sophia Wolf and Wilhelm Hell - so someone as done work on this family and supplied the Freistadt historical Society with the information and photo.

He married Sophia Maria Caroline Wolf sometime between 1839 and 1841. Their first child was born on 27 Jul 1842 in the Freistadt settlement or maybe in the village of Milwaukee (their second child was born in Milwaukee according to his death entry). I show they had 9 children.

They may have been member of Pastor Krause's congregation in Freistadt. However, when the congregation built their second church in 1844, Pastor Krause recorded the names of those that actually built the building - the name Hell does not appear on the list.

My connection to this family is via their second child, Johann Carl Michael Hell who married Elisabeth Maria Rosalie Buth.

Hope this helps,
Tom
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tjwitzel 1 Jan 2009 7:03PM GMT 
pan_mila 6 Jan 2009 8:56PM GMT 
tjwitzel 7 Jan 2009 12:40AM GMT 
pan_mila 7 Jan 2009 3:59AM GMT 
tjwitzel 8 Jan 2009 3:04AM GMT 
rebholzgary 23 May 2013 1:07PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions