Search for content in message boards

Peter Vollkomer, near Thiensville, Ozaukee Co., Wis. in Milwaukee's German newspapers

Replies: 0

Peter Vollkomer, near Thiensville, Ozaukee Co., Wis. in Milwaukee's German newspapers

Posted: 26 Sep 2013 12:07PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 4 Nov 2013 9:56AM GMT
Surnames: Vollkommer Volkomer Vollkomer Volkommer
"Vollkommer, Volkomer, Vollkomer, Volkommer Posted: 21 Apr 2001
If anyone has these spellings on their family tree, please contact me."

A Peter Vollkomer published notices to sell his farm in Milwaukee's German newspapers in the 1860s. These are some of the "sell by owner" notices I've been indexing in "Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950).

The farm sale notices usually provide a detailed description of the property: Peter's was located "about a mile from Thiensville", 80 acres, variety of crops cultivated, some woodland, etc., and includes the former "Franklin Guest House". Some of these notices include inventories of farm implements, livestock, etc. Peter was looking to sell outright or trade for an existing business in the city of Milwaukee.

There are many notices in these papers for sales that were handled by agents for the owners, but don't include owner's names. Probate sales handled by an administrator can be interesting and usually list a family name, otherwise I'm not indexing agent's "for sale" notices. You have to read the notices to determine which is which.

Milwaukee's German newspapers have cross-over readership with surrounding counties, particularly Ozaukee Co.

Gary Rebholz, originator/compiler/editor, Milwaukee Wis.
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007... uncovering bits and pieces of Milwaukee's German immigrant past found outside of Milwaukee's tavern lore.

Find a board about a specific topic