The Cedarburg Weekly News (Ozaukee Co.)
September 23, 1903
One by one the old pioneers drop out. But a few more years will elapse before - even in memory - they will be forgotten. Their great sacrifices and services are not fully appreciated by the present generation. But for these who braved unselfishly the hardships and privations of pioneer life, this state would still be clothed in its primeval grandeur.
One of these old pioneers was Dr. Theo. Hartwig, who died at his home in this city on Sunday morning last after an illness of several months. He was born in Frankenburg, Kur-Hessin, Germany, June 7, 1820, and at the age of 19 he began the study of medicine, entering the schools at Marburg, where he graduated in 1845. After spending a year with his father, who was also a physician, he left for America and landed in New York on Aug. 10th 1846. A few days after he came west on a hunting expedition via the great lakes to Wisconsin. It was while crossing the lake that he made the acquaintance of Wm. Luening, who was then building the Columbia Mills and who requested him to pay him a visit. Landing in Milwaukee with several friends, they packed guns, ammunition and tents and started up the Milwaukee river and along Cedar Creek to this place. Here he met young friends and countrymen, among them the late Col. Conrad Horneffer, who induce him to locate here. In 1847 he built a residence on the site where Mrs. E. Buch's building now stands. In 1850 he was married to Miss Caroline Hodan, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. Hodan of Mequon. In 1860 he was induced by the people of West Bend to come to that place, and, as they offered him a salary he consented to go. After practicing there eighteen months, one wintry day seventeen sleigh loads of Cedarburg people called on him and requested him to return. As this could be considered a unanimous call, he could not refuse and agreed to return. He built the residence on the hill on the north end of Washington Av. where he resided continually, with the exception of a few years spent at Eau Claire, and which a few years ago he sold to J. Fred Wittenberg.
He was examining physician during the draft of 1862. He was an active worker for the democratic party and voted for the first constitution of Wisconsin. He never held public office, as he considered his profession of far more importance. Besides his widow, two daughters and three sons survive him. They are: Mrs. C. B. Carstens of Grafton, Mrs. W.H. Schroder of this city, Theodore of Milwaukee, Albert of this town and Dr. Max H. of Port Washington.
The funeral took place this afternoon and was very laregly attended. Members of the Turn Verein, Odd Fellows and Free Masons, of which he was a member, attended in a body.