Search for content in message boards

LaPOINT OLDS (Margaret)

Replies: 3

Correcting Info - Re: LaPOINT LAWSON OLDS (Margaret W)

Posted: 25 Mar 2014 5:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: LaPoint, LaPointe, La Pointe, Lawson, Larson, Lapon, Olds, Oles, Russell, Ogden
Some corrections regarding name spelling, etc. based on research I have completed.

Margaret LaPoint (probably the correct spelling was: La Pointe, I have also seen it as LaPointe) - some records indicate she was born at Prairie du Chien in 1838. Note: In 1838 there was no state of Wisconsin. It was the Wisconsin Territory at the time.

The surname of the 2nd husband of Margaret (and other spellings) La Pointe was really Oles. The Stevens Point Gazette 18 Oct 1893 obituary mis-spelled the surname Oles as Olds. She and her husband John Oles appear to have had 2 children: James Oles and Irene Oles (not Olds.)

Civil war pension and 1890 veteran census records have a "W" with the name Margaret Lawson (Margaret La Pointe) whose 1st husband was Tola/Tole Larson/Lawson (and some other spellings.) That "W" was not her middle initial. It stands for "widow." Plus, I have seen a Civil War pension record for Tola Lawson with "Dec." That meant he was deceased. It was not part of his name. Also the fact that Tola Lawson is listed i(as deceased) n the 1890 veterans census records does not mean he was alive in 1890, as I have seen in some family trees with Tola Lawson. I doubt he was a vampire living past the time of his burial.

Also, some Civil War records for Tola Lawson have his name as Tola Lapon - 18th Wisconsin Infantry, Company E.

Despite what his U.S. military grave marker and his Find A Grave memorial shows, Tola Lawson died before 1882. The Stevens Point Gazette obituary of his widow, Mrs. Margaret Olds [sic Oles], dated 18 Oct 1893, states he drowned at Conant's Rapids on the Wisconsin River in 1871. However, that death year may not be correct, either, since the 1870 Wisconsin census has Margaret Lawson, in Plover, Portage Co., Wis., with no husband in the household with her and 5 Lawson children. The 1870 census form had no column for indicating marital status. By the 1880 census record, Margaret was using the surname Oles (and was listed as divorced), with the 2 Oles children and 3 much older Lawson children. The family was still living at Plover, Portage Co., Wis.

The error of the death year on Tola Lawson's grave marker stems from the request made for a military headstone in the early 1940s. Whomever filled out that form gave his death year as 1882. I wonder if that person thought the E.D. 82 on the 1890 veteran pension record for his widow meant the year 1882 and not Enumeration District 82, which was the 1890 census enumeration district for the area of Portage Co. where Margaret lived.

If anyone can provide me with a valid/reputable source for the true death date of Tola Lawson, I would appreciate it. I am only distantly related to his Lawson family through a marriage of a son of Tola and Margaret La Pointe Lawson, Charles Lawson (1863, Linwood Township, Portage Co., Wis. - 1897, Cadott, Chippewa Co., Wis.) to Lauretta Russell. Lauretta Russell was the daughter of Julia M. Ogden and Lewis Adelbert Russell. I am related through the Ogden family line (Judge Caleb Smith Ogden of
Waupaca, Waupaca Co., Wis.)

Best wishes -
Jean E. DeLauche
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Patti 1 Jan 2004 1:06AM GMT 
MAKKuehl 7 Jan 2004 10:23PM GMT 
jdelauche 25 Mar 2014 11:59PM GMT 
mmcraig 9 Sep 2007 1:50PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic