Search for content in message boards

Hannah Jensen-Midwife

Replies: 1

Hannah Jensen-Midwife

Posted: 15 Mar 2001 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Jensen, Olson
I found an article in the 1956; Racine Journal for 100 years.Racine, Racine County, Wisconsin The Headline reads, MID-WIFE ASSISTED AT BIRTH OF 7,000 CHILDREN...Seven thousand Racine babies made their entrance into the world with the assistance of Mrs. Hannah Jensen Olson 89 of Carmel Avenue,Racine Wisconsin. Mrs. Olson a mid-wife from 1895 to 1937 has a ledger filled with "my babies. "

Before the turn of the century Hannah and her husband moved to Racine from a small village in Norway. Her husband Theodore Jensen was a sailor on the Great Lakes. After his death she married an Olson an electrical contractor in Racine.

Because Mrs. Olson liked helping people, she studied and took an examination for midwife at the Palmer House Chicago,Il. She was in the summer:"class of June,1895."

She has memories of snow up to her knees going to houses on the edge of town, a signal given: a lantern hung on a tree so she knew where a mid-wife were needed.

A baby was delivered for a 5 dollar fee--Mrs. Olson returned twice a day for 9 days to help mother and the new baby.

The paper goes on to say Mrs. Olson took pride in her profession, "All of the babies I delivered were reported to the register of deeds. And all the equipment I used to deliver the babies was sterilized."

Today she lives at a home of a granddaughter. All Mrs. Olson's 4 children are dead.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
A 15 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Sannidal 6 May 2013 9:04PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions