Jacob West was born in Champaign Co., Ohio, in 1812, the youngest son of William and Hannah West, natives of Virginia. He was reared in Champaign Co., and there married Miss Margaret Robinson, who was born in the Buckeye state, and still survives him as one of the oldest and most respected citizens of this place. In the spring of 1835 Jacob West and wife removed to Bloomington, Ill., and in the fall of the same year settled on a farm in the town of Rock Grove, Stephenson Co., where he remained until the spring of 1840, when he came to this place and entered the northeast quarter of section 26, the claim lying just east of our present city. His family consisted of eight children, seven of whom grew to mature years and five are still living. He was one of the most prominent pioneers of his day, and probably none exerted more influence upon the educational, moral and religious interest of this community. He assisted greatly in the first organization of the Methodist Episcopal church in this city, the first quarterly meeting being held in his log house, of which we shall have more to say later. After the postoffice was established at this place, he had the first contract for carrying the mail from Union to Evansville, which was principally done by his son James. He was justice of the peace for nineteen consecutive years, served several years as town assessor and was town clerk for about ten years. In 1861 he was appointed by Abraham Lincoln United States assistant assessor for the second district, and held the office until 1864, was reappointed in 1865 and held the office until 1866. He was postmaster of Evansville from 1855 until 1858. In politics he was a republican and a strong temperance man. His son Joseph H., wife and family of four children are highly respected citizens of this place.
May 10, 1898, The Tribune, p. 1, col. 6, Evansville, Wisconsin