Search for content in message boards

Hulda Swanson immigrated from Sweden on Nov 29, 1893

Replies: 4

Hulda Swanson immigrated from Sweden on Nov 29, 1893

Posted: 3 May 2012 9:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello!

My name is Kathy Henning and I am looking for my ancestors.
Apparently, my great grandmother... Hulda Swanson...)Hulda Augusta Maria) or any other variations...immigrated from Sweden. Presumably, from Smoland Sweden. She arrived at Ellis Island on nov 29, 1893.

She was 16 years old at the time she arrived.
From the ship's manifest...it appeared she came alone...sans family members. But she did come with a group of girls her age as shown on the immigration document.
All of these brave girls came to the USA to be "servants" to various families on their arrival.

Their employment had apparently been prearranged between "agents" in NY and Sweden.

Hulda arrived to the USA and headed towards a servant position in Chicago.

She eventually married a John Peterson, who immigrated to the USA, a single man...from Sweden also.

The paper trail goes cold for me there.

Hello!!! Do you know how many John Petersons emigrated in the late part of the 1800's and early 1900's? About 650 of them!

It was too many for me to figure out. Thank goodness for more unique names!

Hulda and John gave birth to 3 children.

Florence Petersen (my AWESOME grandma).
Her sister Alice Petersen.
And I believe...a son Williard. Could be wrong about that.

Florence Petersen became Florence Johnson, after she married my dear grandfather, Ellsworth Theodore Johnson.

Both were outstanding people! My grandpa Ellsworth,though he did not complete high school because of economic reasons...still became an engineer and designer at the original headquarters of John Deere Plow and Planter in Illinois. Grandpa Johnson helped design the "corn picker" machine that changed the speed and ease of American farming altogether!
Go grandpa! Yay grandpa!

If anyone has any information about these wonderful people, I sure would appreciate it!

Most sincerely,
Kathy Henning

Anyway... as Ellen Degeneres would say...
I am just hoping that someone out there has information about Hulda Swanson!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
henningkathy 4 May 2012 3:18AM GMT 
henningkathy 4 May 2012 3:28AM GMT 
RPokorny 10 Aug 2012 2:04PM GMT 
RPokorny 10 Aug 2012 2:25PM GMT 
avipe 3 Jan 2013 10:11AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic