Search for content in message boards

Olson - Kolstad Connection

Replies: 9

Olson - Kolstad Connection

Posted: 25 May 2001 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Nov 2006 5:14PM GMT
Surnames: Olson, Kolstad, Lie, Haugen, Hogan
Ole Olson and Antoinette (Kolstad) Petersdatter were married in Tamarack/Ettrick, Trempealeau County Wisconsin on 12 December 1875. Ole was 24, Antoinette was 17.

Halvor Lie was a witness to this ceremony, and I would like to know if the Lie family has any knowledge of the connection to the Olson's.

I am researching the Olson line, and know that Antoinette remarried sometime after 1884 (to an Olai Moe). The union of Antoinette and Ole produced 3 sons: Oscar, Martin, and Julius. Julius is my G-Grandfather. I cannot find any birth information on him but know from family his bday was 25July 1884. I need to followup on the birth information for Oscar and Martin.

There is no recorded history of the happenings and death of Ole. In the marriage record at the church (Ettrick, French Lutheran Church) Ole's bplace is mentioned as Kosernoug(sp) but no where I go can I find this place. The Norwegian Colsolate in Mpls doesn't have a reference.

Family History says Oscar and Julius later when they were older wanted to have their name changed to the Norwegian 'Haugen', but, the clerk/schoolteacher that changed it, changed it to the Irish spelling of 'Hogan' thus the difference in name. Death certificates for the 3 boys indicated Ole Hogan as the father of the boys. Martin kept the name Olson.

Please Help... I am at wits end and with trying to trace a name of Ole Olson, I am at wits end. I thank anyone who can help me.

I have asked the Wisconsin Historical Society to look at the Arcadian papers for possible marriage notices of Ole & Antoinette, but nothing is mentioned. [Strike 3?]

The French Creek Lutheran Church in Ettrick does have the original marriage records at the church. They did get them microfilmed, but these records are recorded in Norse, and I cannot translate. Please email me at rchogan42@yahoo.com -- if anyone could please help me with the going back of the line.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RCHOGAN42 25 May 2001 12:00PM GMT 
MMorgan4566 25 May 2001 12:00PM GMT 
RCHOGAN42 1 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT 
zoe 6 Oct 2001 10:31PM GMT 
Timothy Moe 9 Aug 2001 1:39PM GMT 
Richard C Hogan 9 Jan 2002 4:41PM GMT 
RPokorny 26 May 2006 12:38PM GMT 
RPokorny 26 May 2006 12:46PM GMT 
RCHOGAN42 19 May 2013 9:44PM GMT 
nutileR91 5 Jun 2013 1:07AM GMT 
per page