Search for content in message boards

Devoy's of Delavan

Replies: 1

Re: Devoy's of Delavan

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 3:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DeVoy, Van Matre
Sandy,

I only just stumbled upon your inquiry from 7-1/2 years ago. In all that time, I see that mine is the first reply. So, unless you found other sources, this may be new information.

I'm Frank DeVoy, the only child of Nevens and Lois (nee Van Matre). I believe another of dad's brothers – I don't remember which – also named his son Frank.

Note that Nivens is one of two misspellings I've seen; the other is Nevins — Nevino is a new one. As to the surname, I've heard of Devey, Devay and O'Devoy—with the "v" variously in upper or lower case— but Deroy is a new one.

I'm fairly certain all of the siblings are dead. Dad was the youngest, and died at the age of 57 from complications following a stroke; had he lived he would have been 100 this year. I don't recall meeting any of them except for Uncle Teddy (Theodore Roosevelt—apparently Grandpa was a fan) who owned and ran a bakery in Burlington, WI, and Uncle Secky (Sextus) who lived in Sharon, WI.

For some reason, I always thought there was only one sister, Helen, and another brother, Thurman, but that may just be a product of faulty memory … mine.

Let me know if this has been of any use.

Frank
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Sandy 15 Dec 2005 3:11PM GMT 
phraynczk 17 Jun 2013 9:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions