Search for content in message boards

Burials at Poor house and Asylum, Walworth County, Wisconsin, USA

Replies: 13

Re: Burials at Poor house and Asylum, Walworth County, Wisconsin, USA

Posted: 10 Feb 2010 9:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
From a Walworth County newspaper article in September of 2000 there are a couple of sentences that might help you a bit. There is also a listing of those buried at the cemetery. Edward Nace 1831-1915 is on that list.

"From 1879 through 1931, those who died at the county's poor house and insane asylum were buried in a simple cemetery near what is now the county farm. Recently, a monument was erected as a memorial to them."

"On Aug. 8, 2000, the Walworth County Board dedicated the small plot of land--the final resting place of those that lived at the county poor house and insane asylum--and unveiled a stone monument listing their names."

"People from both institutions were buried in the cemetery when there was no family or money for funeral or burial somewhere else, which........was 90 percent of the time."

There are no headstones there, and the location is off of County NN in Geneva township near the county buildings, and there is a hospital near there also.

The author of the article says "All I know is that it (the cemetery) is somewhere up behind the county buildings off of county road NN. After several passes back and forth along NN, I decide to stop at the Walworth County Sheriff's Department for directions. Though most of the office personnel are aware of the cemetery, only one can offer directions. I head out again. I turn off NN onto a road that posts a sign warning that trespassers may be ticketed or towed. The road is mostly overgrown grass. The gravel that was once there is worn away except for a few pebbles that line the sides of what was once a road. In the distance, in what seems like the middle of a pasture, I see a rectangular-shaped object, quite large, and I head toward it. When I get to the cemetery, I stand at the entrance. A fresh, new white fence surrounds this quiet cemetery that has had few mourners and few tears shed over its hollow ground. The air is sweet and thick with humidity. There is no wind, no breeze, just a kind of stillness."

From a County Clerk's listing, also in 2000, is the name of Edward Nace, born 1831 (which may or may not be correct, as many times at the poor farm ages were guessed at if the exact date wasn't known) and died 2 November 1915. His death certificate is probably at the Walworth County Register of Deed's Office in Elkhorn, Wisconsin on the Square. I can't check it out for you right now as winter weather is a bit rough now to drive there. If you would need it checked when spring is here, just ask again. Any other questions?
SJS@pensys.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ChristinePMul... 11 Feb 2010 12:44AM GMT 
JulieCarolyn 11 Feb 2010 2:09AM GMT 
paulamc53 28 Mar 2010 2:11AM GMT 
ShirleySisk77 11 Feb 2010 4:49AM GMT 
allpetsboardi... 16 Feb 2014 6:11PM GMT 
ChristinePMul... 18 Feb 2014 4:50PM GMT 
ChristinePMul... 19 Feb 2014 5:00PM GMT 
agruling 11 Feb 2010 3:05PM GMT 
ChristinePMul... 12 Feb 2010 8:05PM GMT 
rominatr 30 Aug 2011 3:56AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions