Search for content in message boards

Families Mentioned in 1900's Journals of Relative

Replies: 13

Re: 1900's Journals of Relative, Frauen Verein

Posted: 5 Feb 2006 11:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Feb 2006 12:21PM GMT
> The term 'Frauen Ferein" is also mentioned many times - I think German for Women's Assocation.

It should be Frauen "Verein" and that's exactly what it was--a Womens Society--most likely through her church. Along those lines (no pun intended!) it would appear from the surnames that these were Old Lutherans. I could be wrong or overstepping the profile but I know that some of those surnames have strong ties to the Pommeranian Old Lutherans, especially Ladwig, Zimmerman(n), Quandt, and Bartelt.

While I do not specifically remember an Old Lutheran parish in Kewaskum, it would make sense that there was one as they began in southern Washington (Freistadt) and successively kept going further north with time. Some if this was due to land and some of it because of differences in religious doctine, but it definitely did occur. The closest parishes I could remember in that area were located near Lomira and Theresa. Not too far by today's standards, but way too far if you're going to church on a buckboard in January, with or without a load of small children and infants.

> Although I was told my family lived in Fond du Lac County, I see that Kewaskum (they had farms near there) is actually in Washington County?

Kewaskum is on the northern border of Washington County, but it most probably wouldn't have been uncommon for them to hop the train and do their business in the much larger Fond du Lac, rather than the closer but much smaller West Bend. West Bend was too close to Milwaukee at that time to grow very large.

I grew up less than 20 miles from Kewaskum and we always went to Fond du Lac for clothes buying, etc. In that immediate area, Fond du Lac is considered the closest "big" city. Additionally, it could also have been that many of their friends and relatives lived in FdL.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Susan Graham 4 Feb 2006 11:47PM GMT 
Dennis Lohr 5 Feb 2006 6:07PM GMT 
Susan Graham 5 Feb 2006 6:23PM GMT 
PatioM 23 Jul 2006 1:43AM GMT 
Susan Graham 1 Aug 2006 5:37AM GMT 
phlebineer 31 Dec 2012 9:42PM GMT 
Susan Graham 31 Dec 2012 11:31PM GMT 
Susan Graham 1 Jan 2013 12:22AM GMT 
phlebineer 1 Jan 2013 1:01AM GMT 
Jay German 1 Jan 2013 6:02AM GMT 
per page