I am seeking any information about my great, great, grandfather, Luke Caughlin. Please note that I have also found his name spelled "Coughlin" and "Caughlan".
Here is what I currently know about Luke:
1. Both Luke and his wife, Bridget (Reidy), were born in Ireland. Both were Catholic.
2. I know that Luke and Bridget had 3 children, all born in Wisconsin, probably in Washington or Erin Counties: Michael, John, and Ellen Coughlin (note they spelled their name with an "o").
3. I know that according to the 1850 census, Luke, Bridget and first son Michael lived in the district of Heartford, Wisconsin, Washington County.
a. At this time, Luke is listed as 30 years of age, which would make his birth in Ireland in 1820.
b. Bridget (one "t") is listed as being 27 years of age, which would make her birth in Ireland in 1823.
c. Michael is listed as being 1 year old, which would make his birth in Wisconsin in 1849.
4. I know that according to the 1855 census, Luke lived in Erin township, Washington County, Wisconsin.
5. I know that according to the Bureau of Land Management, Luke owned 40 acres of land in Washington County, WI, in 1848, although his last name is spelled "Coughlan" on the land record.
After 1855, Luke completely disappears. His wife, Bridget and kids (Michael, Ellen and John) next show up in the 1870 census, without Luke. Bridget and kids are buried in Necedah, but there is no sign of Luke.
If you have any books (e.g., church, cemetery, tax records, newspaper, etc.) that might be used to search for any sign of Luke, I would greatly appreciate the effort.
Thanks in advance!