From "Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin Counties: Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade and Shawano" by Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co. 1895.
GEORGE E. MOORE is one of the oldest living settlers in Waupaca county, having come to Wisconsin as far back as 1843, and to what is now Royalton township in 1849. He was born in the town of Putnam, Washington Co., N. Y., in 1822, son of James and Hannah (Easton) Moore.
James Moore was born in Scotland, and, when twenty?one or twenty-two years of age came to the United States, locating in Washington county, N. Y., where he married and made a permanent home, following the occupation of farming. Mr. Moore and his wife both died in New York, she preceding him to the grave. They reared a family of eleven children, two of whom are now living, and five of whom came west, four coming to Wisconsin, as follows: John came to Waupaca county in 1850 and died at Royalton, Waupaca county, in 1880; George E. is the pioneer whose history is here outlined; Henry came to Marathon counts? in 1840, engaged in lumbering, and died in St. Charles, Kane Co., Ill.; Andrew came to Waupaca county with George E. in 1849, and died in St. Charles, Ill., in 1854or 1855. Margaret is the widow of W. F. Moore, of St. Charles, III., and she and her brother, George, are the only members of the family now living.
George E. Moore was reared in Washington county, N. Y., and educated in its schools. At the age of twenty-one he set out for the West, coming direct to Chicago, and thence on foot to Grand Rapids, Wis., in the year 1843. He was on the upper Wisconsin river, lumbering, from Grand Rapids to Wausau, Wis., for two years, and then at Mosinee, Wis., operating a mill. After being on the Wisconsin river six years in all, he went to Royalton township, at that time (1849) not named or surveyed [this was then all Indian land; the treaty had been made only the year before, and the Indians had not yet been removed), located in what is now Little Wolf township, and engaged in lumbering and milling. In the winter of 1849-50 Mr. Moore built a sawmill, and after operating it two years, came, in 1852, to what is now Royalton township, Waupaca county, bought a sawmill, to which he built an addition, and engaged in the manufacture of shingles and lumber for many years, till about 1873, when he sold the mill. He was the founder of the village of Royalton, which he laid out in 1855 or 1856, and in connection with a brother gave employment in the mill to an average of twenty men or more.
At Royalton, Waupaca county, in 1864, George E. Moore married Mrs. Mary (Hulse) Phillips, who was born in New York, widow of Bradford Phillips. Two children were born to them: Alice, wife of Charles Mather, of State Line, Wis., and Maud, who is attending the State Normal School at Oshkosh, Wis. Mrs. Moore had two sons by her former marriage: Milton, an attorney at law, who is married and resides at Oshkosh, Wis., and Clarence, also married, who resides at Stevens Point, Wisconsin.
After the sale of the mill, in 1873, Mr. Moore engaged in farming in Royalton. He bought a timber tract of two hundred acres adjoining the village, cleared it, and built a good residence on the farm, where he made his home for fifteen years, and carried on general agriculture. In early life Mr. Moore was a Whig. afterward becoming a Republican, and he still takes an interest in politics. He was the first chairman of Royalton township, and was also a member of the countyboard and chairman for one term. During the war he was postmaster of Royalton, was a member of the Legislature in 1871, and has held other offices of responsibility and trust. Mr. Moore is widely and favorably known, has been interested in advancing the prosperity of the county, and no man has been more familiar with its changes from the forest where roamed the Indian to cultivated fields.