Search for content in message boards

Velma Jones

Replies: 2

Re: Velma Jones

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 6:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello, I am not related. This may be your Velma Jones in Steven's Point in 1965. RP
------------
Stevens Point Daily Journal | Stevens Point, Wisconsin | Wednesday, February 17, 1965 | Page 10

OPEN LETTER
A Woman's Opinions On Several Subjects
STEVENS POINT — I see that a lot of people have the courage to write letters and express their opinions, so I am going to write one too.
They are right when they criticize President Johnson for spending money the way he is. Where will it all come from? I see that he intends to close 11 soldiers' hospitals. I wonder, as many others do, what will happen to soldiers who have no homes or hospitals to go to when they are crippled, sick and unable to work. The hospitals have been in operation for a number of years and now he wants to close them. Why? So he can spend the money to plant flowers along the highways and make them beautiful. The hospitals are a benefit, but we cannot eat or wear the flowers and they all die in winter. If enough taxpayers protest about paying out their money to beautify the highway he couldn't do it.
I for one know what the first World War did to a lot of our boys because I was one who became involved in helping one young soldier. I was in St. Paul Minn., near Christmas time. I was a stranger there and had nerve enough to tell some people what I thought of them. I saw a boy on the street with both legs cut off just below his hips. He was on a board with little wheels, and he was on the street trying to sell pencils. All the well-dressed people passed
him by and turned their noses up at him. They made me furious enough at them so I told some of the women off. I told them he probably saved many of their boys' lives, and probably a lot of their sons didn't even go to war.
My remarks finally attracted the notice of policemen. Instead of taking me in, they all stuck by me and all the policemen in the city helped me. I put up a speech and soon all the street cars and traffic stopped and the policemen took off their hats and took up a collection for the soldier.
They wanted me to take a reward, but I didn't take it. Then the police said I should say what should be done with the fund, so I told them to take him off the streets and put him in a hotel or someplace where he could be cared for, then build him a house or buy him a place and hire help to look after him. Business firms, grocers, furniture stores, automobile dealers, lumber yards all donated toward a home for him that was built by volunteer workers.
I learned later through a paper (they didn't know my name) that the soldier was married and on a chicken farm that he always wanted. He had also obtained artificial legs. He had been in a hospital before he tried to make his own way selling pencils. He did not stay there because he did not want to live there the rest of his life.
I see Johnson is also closing up 20 farm research stations. What is this United States coming to? Every Democrat that has been in has had wars. I am 77 years old and never heard of so many wars as in these last years. The way he is going he is putting out a lot of things on giving money to spend for foolishness. There are enough poor people, elderly ones, crippled soldiers and enough people without work in the United States without letting immigrants come in here by the thousands. Then the welfare boards have to feed them and take work away from the children and grownups here in our cities and towns.
Yours sincerely,
MRS. VELMA JONES
1716 Church St
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
nassif 13 Oct 2012 11:21AM GMT 
RPokorny 15 Oct 2012 12:17AM GMT 
nassif 15 Oct 2012 12:45AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions