Search for content in message boards

The mystery of Harriet Peterson!

Replies: 7

The mystery of Harriet Peterson!

Michael M. Thorstad (View posts)
Posted: 3 Apr 2005 1:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Peterson, Thompson, Christenson, Olson, Mory, Larson
The search for my gggreatgrandmothers parents has been interesting. I suspect that she is the daughter of Ole and Tona Peterson, who lived in Clayton, Winnebago County, Wisconsin. I recently received her death certificate and it lists her father as Ole Peterson, born in Norway. Ole Peterson is present in Clayton for the 1850, 1860, 1870 & 1880 census, born in Norway. From family records, Harriet was born 13 Nov 1843 in Murkego, Wauskesha County, Wisconsin Territory. One of her grandsons wrote a family history of her and he reported that her baptismal name as Helga Klokkenvenger. A search of many, many records will get you absolutely nothing with the name of Klokkenvenger!?? Since Winnebago County is only a few counties away from Waukesha County in distance, it is conceivable they migrated after she was born to Clayton in Winnebago County. Anyway, Ole Peterson lists a daughter named Harriet for the 1850 Census (age 7) and for the 1860 Census (age 17). Harriet married a man named Thompson just before he went off to fight in the Civil War. They agreed that she would migrate to Minnesota and stake a claim while he was fighting in the war. Tradition states he died fighting in battle shortly thereafter. Meanwhile Harriet had migrated to Minnesota, Brown County, at the tender age of 18. Word was received there that her husband had died in the war. She remarried within a few months to my gggreatgrandfather, Thosten C. Levig. A search of Civil War records reveal that a Christian O. Thompson did enlist in 1861 and claimed residence in Clayton, Winnebago County, Wisconsin. It also lists his death as 13 Feb 1863 in St. Louis, Missouri from disease. Harriet married Thosten C. Levig on 26 Jun 1863 in Brown County, Minnesota.

Can anybody fill me in on a marriage date for Christian O. Thompson and Harriet Peterson sometime in 1861, hopefully in Winnebago County? Is there any county history for Ole Peterson who lived there for over fourty years? I only found daughters on the census, and I suspect they married into the Christenson, Olson, Mory & Larson families. Betsey Peterson married Hans P. Christenson. Petrean Peterson married an Olson. Tona Peterson is living with her daughter Petrean Olsen for the 1900 Census, age 82. Presumably she died some time after that.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Michael M. Thorstad 3 Apr 2005 7:46PM GMT 
Janet Eiler 3 Apr 2005 11:36PM GMT 
Michael M. Thorstad 7 Apr 2005 1:00AM GMT 
Janet Eiler 7 Apr 2005 1:28AM GMT 
Janet_66 7 Apr 2005 1:47AM GMT 
Elaine Cuyler 31 Mar 2009 8:36AM GMT 
Ancestry54suc... 9 Feb 2013 12:12PM GMT 
MaraMunroe 7 Apr 2005 6:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions