Search for content in message boards

Shueyville Wisconsin 1860's

Replies: 9

Re: Shueyville Wisconsin 1860's

Posted: 3 Aug 2011 6:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
http://www.monticellowi.com/GreenCo/clarnohistory.htm

1884 History of Green County CHAPTER XXXI

TOWN OF CLARNO pages 766-786


RELIGIOUS

The Salem English Evangelical Lutheran Church of Shueyville, town of Clarno, was organized in 1868, by Rev. J. K. Bloom, of the Synod of Northern Illinois. He took charge as pastor in 1869. The following is the list of charter members and first officers: Zachariah Albright, Robert Shaw, Mary Shaw, Peter Lichtenwalner, Sarah Lichtenwalner, Joseph Lichtenwalner, Benjamin Neese. Robert Shaw Sr., elder; Joseph S. Lichtenwalner, deacon. Rev. Bloom resigned the congregation in 1870. He was succeeded by Rev. J. L. Hammond, who took charge April 16, 1871, and served four years. Resigning Sept. 26, 1875. Rev. James M. Rees took charge Nov. 21, 1876, and resigned April 1, 1880. Rev. D. E. Rupley took charge April 1, 1880, and resigned July 1, 1881. Rev. D. P. Grosscup, of the Synod of Iowa took charge Aug. 1, 1881, and resigned April 1, 1884. The church building was erected in 1869 by the joint contributions of the Lutheran and German Reformed congregations, costing both parties $2,500. It is a frame building 38x48 feet in size. It was dedicated in December, 1869, by Rev. J. K. Bloom and G. J. Donmeyer of the Lutheran Church. One acre of ground was donated to the church by Albert Albright of the Reformed congregation. The present officers are: Joseph S. Lichtenwalner, elder; Emanuel Painter, deacon. The present membership is nineteen. Beneficial revivals were enjoyed in 1869, and also in 1870.


METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH

There was occasional preaching in the old log school house as early as 1849. In 1859 Rev. J. C. Brainerd sometimes occupied the frame school house known as Enterprise, a name first given in ridicule to the former log house in the same neighborhood. In 1861 Rev. J. C. Brainerd preached in the Thorpe school house, and formed a class there, with John DeLong leader, and members as follows: Axa DeLong, Frances DeLong, Harrison King, Nancy King, George Clingman, Susan Clingman, Anne I. McDowell, Sarah A. Thorpe, Frances H. Simpson, Ephraim Miller, Catharine Clarno and Harriet Iseminiger. This organization was discontinued in 1862, and names transferred to Shueyville, with Alpheaus De Haven leader.


TOWN ORGANIZATION

The first town meeting in Clarno was held on the first Tuesday in April, 1849, at John Blunt's barn on section 22. The following is a list of the first town officers — elected at this time: Supervisors, Thomas S. Bowen, chairman, 0. J. White and William Boyls; clerk, J. H. Shuey; treasurer, J. H. Blunt; assessor, Barnett Starr; superintendent of schools, William McDonald; Justice of the peace, John W. Shuey, Henson Irion, George Adams and Hamilton C. Miller; constables, John M. Bryant, Elijah Otterman and 0. H. P. Clarno.


SHUEYVILLE POSTOFFICE

The postoffice generally called Shuey's Mill, was established in 1859. John H. Shuey was appointed postmaster and served two years, when he was succeeded by Alpheus DeHaven, who kept the office until 1876, when he resigned and John Lockwood was appointed. Mr. Lockwood held the office until 1883.



BIOGRAPHICAL

Among the old settlers and prominent citizens of the town of Clarno, are the following:

John Cameron came to this county April 9, 1837, from Cincinnati, and settled on section 33, the southwest quarter, where he owns 120 acres. He was born on the Alleghany mountains, Westmoreland Co., Penn., thirty-five miles northeast from Pittsburg, Dec. 6, 1807. He is a son of Daniel and Jane (Carney) Cameron. When three years old, he was taken by his parents to Cincinnati, where he lived until 1837, when he came here as before stated, and has since resided on the same farm. He was married May 10, 1832, to Elizabeth Tilson, of Hamilton county. She died in 1865, and was buried in Shueyville cemetery. He was again married April 24, 1872, to Malinda J. Dunmeyer, of Stephenson Co., Ill., daughter of George and Mary Grossmen, who are still living in Stephenson county. Mr. Cameron is a democrat.

Emanuel Painter came to Shueyville in 1855, and went to work in the blacksmith shop of Cornelius Henry, for whom he worked six months. He then bought the shop of Mr. Henry, and began business on his own account; which he has since continued, at the same place. He was born in Westmoreland Co., Penn., May 29, 1830, and is the son of Daniel and Esther (Crawshard) Painter. He came to Green county directly from Pennsylvania. He was married May 6, 1855, to Mary Michael, a native of that State, Clearfield county. Ten children have been born to them—Huldah, Lucy A., Flora D., Amanda E., Nettie B., Rosa A., Tillie ., Allie M., Eda E., and Palmer A. Mr. and Mrs. Painter are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Painter is doing a prosperous business, and since coming to Shueyville, has never been out of work. He has accumulated some property, and now owns his shop and a good house in town, and seventy-five acres of land located a short distance north of the village.

Solomon Starr was born in Ohio, Preble county, July 7, 1822. He is a son of Adam and Mary (Kick) Starr, who are buried in Monroe cemetery. Mr. Starr's father was one of the earliest settlers in this county, having located nine miles below Mineral Point, in 1826, where he worked at blacksmithing for a time, then removed to the place now owned by Peter Lichtenwalner, on section 28. He remained there for eleven years. Solomon was married in 1842 to Sarah Blunt, of the town of Clarno: daughter of William and Nancy (Smith) Blunt; both of whom are dead, the latter is buried at Sedalia, Pettis county, the former lies in Shueytown cemetery. Mr. Starr lives on the north and east side of the east half of the north east quarter of section 25, and owns 104 acres. There are seven children living — Daniel, William, Levi L., May C., Susan E., Martha E. and Farmer D. Mr. Starr is a member of the Christian Church, and politically is a democrat

Henry Trumpy, miller of Shueyville, was born in canton Glarus, in the southern part of Switzerland, Feb. 18, 1827, and is a son of Joseph and Catharine (Baker) Trumpy. He came to America in company with his father, and they were among the earliest settlers in the town of New Glarus. On the first night after his arrival in that town, he, with a number others, slept in a straw shed, which fell down on him during a rain in the night. With his father, he took twenty acres of land of the company who settled the township, which they afterwards permitted to revert to the company. Henry went, in 1847, to Stephenson Co., Ill., where he was employed in a saw mill, two years, then returned to New Glarus, and purchased a farm, on which he remained until 1866. He was married on the 22d of May, 1849, to Elsbeth Abley, a native of Switzerland. In 1866 they removed to Shueyville, where they now reside. Mr. Trumpy is the owner of the mill property at Shueyville, and 313 acres of land, having purchased the same of A. Ludlow, for $20,000, and now runs the saw mill and grist mill. Mr. and Mrs. Trumpy have ten children — Joseph, Catharine, Sarah, Henry, Betsey, Solomon, Fred, Magdaline, Annie and Daniel. Sarah married Michael Witt, and lives in California. Catharine married B. H. Jones, and lives in Stephenson Co., Ill. Mr. Trumpy and his family are members of the Evangelical Church. He is a republican and an enterprising and useful citizen

Martin Dreibelbis was born in Berks Co.: Penn., Nov. 13, 1812, and is the son of Daniel and Magdaline (Keifer) Dreibelbis. When thirty-one years of age he removed to Centre Co., Penn., and followed farming until 1868 when he removed to Orangeville, Stephenson Co., Ill., thence to Green Co., Wis., and located on section 27, where he. owns 160 acres of land which he purchased from Jacob Mason. He rents out his land, but resides in the house on his farm. Mr. Dreibelbis was married Jan. 26, 1834, to Hannah Rothermal, of Berks Co., Penn. She is a daughter of Peter and Magdaline Rothermal, both of whom are dead, being buried in Berks Co., Penn. The result of this union was thirteen children, nine of whom are living — Daniel, Esther, Mary M., John, Rebecca, Sarah, William, Joseph and Hannah. Mrs. Dreibelbis died Aug. 17, 1873, aged fifty-nine years and two months, and is buried in Shueyville cemetery. She, with her husband was a member of the Reform Church. Mr. Dreibelbis has fifty grand-children and four great-grand-children, of whom he is proud. Although advanced in years somewhat, he retains the vigor of youth, and is a very agreeable companion. Being a great reader, he talks intelligently on all subjects broached to him.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
annie46845 16 May 2000 12:49PM GMT 
Ted Beckman 2 Dec 2000 6:42PM GMT 
annie46845 2 Dec 2000 9:34PM GMT 
handrich 26 Jul 2011 9:28PM GMT 
markfriedrich... 26 Jul 2011 7:28PM GMT 
RPokorny 4 Aug 2011 12:14AM GMT 
heritagegirl1... 25 Mar 2012 12:26AM GMT 
heritagegirl1... 25 Mar 2012 12:26AM GMT 
heritagegirl1... 15 Apr 2013 1:42AM GMT 
Kristen Leopo... 6 May 2014 12:22PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic