Search for content in message boards

Zuill/McLay Family of Rock County

Replies: 6

Re: Zuill family

Posted: 24 Feb 2002 9:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jul 2003 8:46AM GMT
Dear Lori-
Yes! That would be my family. John Zuill was my great-grandfather who ran a dairy,as well as breeding Clydesdale horses and shorthorn cattle( the family was at one time the largest breeeders of these critters in the US). Business went well until 1917 when his only son died as the result of a tragic Christmas Day accident. The little boy was 7 years old and John had gotten him his own pony and buggy. The buggy flipped, crushing his chest, and he died several days later. John apparently lost his mind( he had three older daughters but his life evolved around his son), and one or both of his partners swindled him in his dairy business. He went from a wealthy farmer to a poor one quickly, not caring about anything but the fact that he'd inadvertently killed his heir. I remember my grandmother telling me how she went from having servants to being one!!! It is so cool that you found what you did. I've driven by the family homestead many times- I live in Lake Geneva, and often think about how quickly the life of my grandma & her sisters changed. My grandma actually married my grandfather to escape her unhappy home life - I guess anything was better than living in a house of perpetual mourning! Also Johnstown itself was named (in part ) after some of the John's in my family. Apparently, the settlers had gathered to decide on a name, and the conversation sorta went like this, " Well, John, what do you think we should name it?" I don't know John, Let's ask John over there what he thinks!" Apparently, most of the males in the area were named "JOHN"!! HA! It's a great story!! Thanks for writing! DEB
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
debsoplanda 19 Jan 2001 2:50PM GMT 
Craig Christiansen 24 Feb 2001 12:44AM GMT 
n_GabusBridge... 27 Feb 2001 7:52PM GMT 
debsoplanda 28 Feb 2001 2:59PM GMT 
LoriNiemuth 22 Feb 2002 6:59AM GMT 
debsoplanda 24 Feb 2002 4:41PM GMT 
JeanArnold87 4 Apr 2013 7:08AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic