Walter UPTON

Sherry Harysch (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Upton, Stevens
Obituary of Walter Upton

Sheridan Press 10 Aug 1959
Headline: Walter Upton dies; Long a Coal Miner

Walter Upton, 88 foreman of the Sheridan-Wyoming Coal Company for 17 years,died Saturday at Sheridan County Memorial Hospital where he had been a patient for one week.
Funeral services will be conducted from Champion;’s drawing room Tuesday afternoon at 2 o’clock with Rev. Charles H. Washburn, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, oficiating , burial will be in the Sheridan Municipal Cemetery.
Mr. Upton was born in England and had worked in coal mines in England, the United States and Canada for approximately 65 years. He first came to Wyoming in 1888, working in the mines at Carbon, a mining community near Hanna in southern Wyoming.

After leaving Carbon, he was empoyed in many mining communities, including Vancouver Island in canada. He came to the Sheridan community in 1904, going to work first in the Carney mine. From Carney, he went to work at the Model mine, then to Dietz No. 8 as Foreman and from there to Hotchkiss and to Monarch mine in 1939. The family lived at Acme and moved to Sheridan 20 years ago. The home address is 424 Gladstone.

Mr. Upton was a veteran of the Spanish-American War. He is survived by his wife, Alice, of Sheridan and one son, Samuel Edwin Upton, Sheridan: four grandchildren and seven great grand-children.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions