Search for content in message boards

Obit Lookup request -- Ager

Replies: 3

Re: Obit Lookup request -- Ager

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 7:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: AGER
Source: 1949 Wyoming Annual Report of the State Inspector of Coal Mines, Pages 11 & 12

"FATAL ACCIDENT INVOLVING HOWARD AGER"
On March 7, 1949, Howard Ager, age 21, single was instantly killed when hit by a loaded trip. The accident occurred in the 6 South Entry of the Reliance No.11 Coal Mine, property of the Union Pacific Coal Company.

William Kirchbaum, machine man, Virgil Kirby, loading end man, and Mr. Ager, ratchet man, were the crew engaged in driving an air course barrier from 6 South to 7 South. The crew had shot this place through to 6 South Entry and were in the act of cleaning up the coal.

The motorman in 6 South Entry had pulled one trip out and stopped on his way out; when he came back with the empty trip the place was practically cleaned up. When he came out with the second trip no one flagged him to stop. As he didn’t see anyone he thought the track was clear and kept pushing his trip towards the parting. It struck Mr. Ager and killed him instantly.

Mr. Spence, mine superintendent, had just gone through this place down to 7 South. He shut the shaker down and told the men to keep it shut until they had the coal loaded off the track in the 6 South Entry. If the shaker had been shut as instructed, it would have been possible to hear the trip coming out of 6 South and probably this accident would have been prevented.

A ratchet man is a worker who operates the duckbill loader when mining with duckbill conveyors.

A duckbill loader is a machine for loading coal, ore, or rock usually in headings or tunnels. It consists of a wide flat shovel that is forced into the loose material along the floor by the forward motion of the conveyor. The shaking motion of the conveyor brings the material backwards, and it is loaded into cars or a conveyor. It works at its maximum efficiency to the rise or in flat tunnels.

Source: 1968 Wyoming Annual Report of the State Inspector of Mines, page 79,

nonfatal accident, noncoal mine, 1968Aug20, John Ager, cart axle bent workman's big toe on right foot backward; fractured big toe on right foot; American Colloid Co., Upton Plant, Upton, WY

This is all the information that I have on these accidents.

from Jerry

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Merganthe 12 Aug 2006 11:47PM GMT 
shepard999 13 Dec 2012 6:12PM GMT 
Merganthe 15 Jan 2013 3:18AM GMT 
shepard999 15 Jan 2013 2:46PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions