Search for content in message boards

BALEN mystery in Rock Springs

Replies: 2

BALEN mystery in Rock Springs

Posted: 15 Dec 2011 8:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi All, When I first started researching my husband's family, I figured with a little digging it would be pretty straightforward like my own family was. Was I ever mistaken.

Several years ago, a very kind lady named Sally made copies of the church records from Sts Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church in Rock Springs. That is one of the first problems.. they are all in latin, of which I can only get the general idea. Here is the story.

My late father-in-law, Mark Balen, always said his birthday was 27 Nov 1915. His baptism says 21 Dec 1915 (if filium leg or lag means legitamate) He was baptised 13 Jan 1916.
parents names are correct. Does "Patrini fuerunt" mean god parents? They are Nickolas and Catherine KRPAN. Priest was A. Schiffrer.

The next baptism was another son, Mile b.4 Nov 1917 bap. 16 Dec 1917. But the poor little guy didn't quite make it to his 1st birthday. d. Nov 1918. "Patrini fuerunt" Matt Paulovic? and Matilda SKORUP. Priest A. Schiffrer

The big mystery is the parents marriage record.
Ante (Tony) Balen came from Croatia in 1905. His immigration card says he is going to join his father, Marko Balen in DeKalb, IL. (Can't find his father either, but that is another story for another day) Can't find another trace of Tony until he shows up in Rock Springs about 1913.

Luja (Lucy) Borcic, age 18, arrived in New York, 21 Aug 1914, said she was going to brother-in-law, Frane? Sulentic in Rock Springs. The marriage record from St. Cyrils (in Latin) says they weren't married until 18 Feb 1917 which is over a year after their first child was born.
State of Wyoming paper work -
Application for mar lic - 22 Jan 1916
Corroborative statement - 22 Jan 1916
Marriage License - 22 Jan 1916
Cert of mar. - 18 Feb 1917

Could Tony have gone back to Croatia and married Lucy there? Then she traveled to US under her maiden name?
It just doesn't make any sense. I've been going round and round with this for years. Does anyone have any thoughts on this puzzle?

Thanks for any help
Judy Balen
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JPBalen 16 Dec 2011 3:13AM GMT 
cable155 16 Dec 2011 4:48AM GMT 
theresaj1111 26 Sep 2012 4:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions