Search for content in message boards

Gray and Dupont Famalies looking for info

Replies: 5

Re: Gray and Dupont Famalies looking for info

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 6:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gray, Dupont, Littrell
New Studio is a local portrait studio. They've been in business forever and the current owner decided to transcribe their handwritten registers which she very graciously shared with me. You can download the index at the GenWeb site:
http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wysweet2/research/
If you had a photo taken there, they recorded a name, date, and what the photo was. For example, one of Raymond's entries reads "12/1/1929, Dupont, Raymond, three children". They may or may not have the actual negative to make a print from, some have been lost over the years. You can call them and find out if a negative still exists to have a print made. Even if they don't have it, it's still pretty valuable, for example Joy Dupont, she had her senior Reliance high school picture taken in Oct 1951. That tells you that she was still living and unmarried, an approximate age and that she was in Reliance at the time.

To find out what they were doing for a living, this is of course recorded on the censuses, but this only gets you to 1940. This information though was also typically recorded in Polk directories. The Rock Springs library has a fairly good collection of them in the 30's-50's they have 1934, 1939, 1944, 1950, 1953-56, 1958. Call the Reference Librarian at 307-352-6668 to ask her to do lookups for the names you want. The city museum has a separate collection of them, I don't have a list of the years they have, 307-362-3138. The library is only open until 5 today (Friday), noon to 5 tomorrow, closed on Sun. The museum is open Mon-Sat 10-5. The museum has other stuff, I don't know what all, they don't want to share a holding list with me. I do know that they have some hit or miss high school yearbooks there.

Gray burials, look at findagrave.com for as complete a listing as your going to find. This contains the city index and then some. I photographed every stone that was still standing and readable in the spring of 2010, so it is fairly comprehensive.

Orville being married previously...I actually looked for him in the marriage index by just his first name, the only marriage that came up was the one to Glenna, so he was likely widowed or divorced by the time he came here. It'll probably be a tough nut to crack unless you have some clue as to what state/county he married the first wife in. You can get a copy of the Sweetwater county marriage license BTW, from the County Clerk in Green River if you want it, last I knew they were only charging $1 for it, 307-872-6406.
---
Angela M. Cable
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
agrayday 3 Dec 2012 4:47AM GMT 
theresaj1111 6 Dec 2012 4:07PM GMT 
agrayday 7 Dec 2012 7:14AM GMT 
cable155 7 Dec 2012 5:11AM GMT 
agrayday 7 Dec 2012 7:22AM GMT 
cable155 7 Dec 2012 1:49PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions