Search for content in message boards

DAVID BOWEN MOSES

Replies: 3

Re: DAVID BOWEN MOSES

Posted: 10 Sep 2011 5:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moses, Bowen
John Moses was shown as an innkeeper when William was born, a shopkeeper when Ann was born and finally a farmer of Llwyncelyn when John was born.

T O Evans in his book Roots & Branches states that William and Margaret started their married life at Wernfawr, Ysclydach, Sennybridge.

In the 1871 census, William and Margaret farm Llwyncelyn [87 acres], they have four children living at home, Ann[14], Elizabeth [8], William [4] and Margaretta [2].

In the 1871 census David with his elder sister Catherine and elder brother Watkin are living at Pentwyn , a farm of about 100 acres.

David emigrated to the USA in 1879 arriving in New York from Liverpool on the "Erin" owned by the National Shipping line, it sank in late 1889

In the USA census of 1880, David Moses (22), is living and working with his cousin, Henry Evan Lewis who is trading under his own name in Cleveland, Ohio.

On the 1st March 1885 David is recorded as a farmer in Pyke County, Kansas

In the 1900 USA census David has moved to Ten Sleep, Wyoming, has married Adele Ashwill and has established a large family, David is stated to be a farmer.

David met an untimely end on the 1 Nov 1901 in a horse and conveyance in a gulch outside of Ten Sleep, which used to be known as Moses Gulch. He was in his early 40's.

Faye Moses Bell writes "David Moses, from all reports, was a very courageous man. In the era which he moved a flock of sheep, it was cattle country and the vigilante met him at a creek near Ten Sleep and warned him not to cross! He waved his hand in the air, plunged his horse and sheep into the creek and shouted, "Who's to stop me!" The vigilante rode away. He managed to live there for 10 years before being killed in the incident I told you about. Also, I guess he was quick witted and everyone either hated or loved him, he was too much spirit for the rest and red haired to boot! Like waving a red flag in front of the bull

David bought his sisters, Ann and Elizabeth, to Kansas on two separate return trips from Wales
In the 1920 USA census Edna, married to Walter C Fergusson
is living in Delta County, Colorado.
There are four children, all born Colorado, Lawrence [8]; Donald [7]; Laverta [4yrs 3mths] and Howard [9myhs].

In the 1930 USA census Edna and Wlter are living at Grand Junction, Colorado where Walter is employed as a railraod machinist. There are now five children Lois being born 1925.

In Arthur Moses obituary in the Billings Gazette, Billings Montana, September 25, 1971 it refers to his sister Edna Black of Glendale, California.

That is almost the full story I have to date but the Bowen family can be traced back to the early 1700's and other elements of the Moses and Bowen families emigrated to Trenton, Nebraska and New York respectively.

I would be delighted to make contact with you as would other UK based members of the Moses family if you would like

I am also in touch with Moses connections in Nebraska and Utah, though my tries at connection with family in California fell on stoney ground.

Please contact me direct if you wish on

r.evans441@btinternet.com

Regards

Roger M Evans

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Towyusk 11 Feb 2010 11:59PM GMT 
Cora McGee 13 Feb 2010 4:54AM GMT 
lloldy1 9 Sep 2011 6:00PM GMT 
Towyusk 10 Sep 2011 11:32AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions