Search for content in message boards

Sally of the Shoshone/Barney Ward

Replies: 8

Re: Sally of the Shoshone/Barney Ward

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 11:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Exervia, Brown
Sally Exervid Ward of the Shoshone Indian Tribe
On1843 July 4 Her husband Baptist Xervais was shot in the back at Fort Lupton and he died on July 11 John C. Fremont records that he took a young Shoshone lady and her two children to her people to the west near the Bear River.

The next time we have a written record of Sally is in 1850 in the U S Census in Utah County at what is
Now Provo Utah with her Husband Elijah B. Ward and her Daughters Adelaide and Polly. They record the name as Warde.

“ ... we continued our studies in the Shoshone Indian dialect, having Elisha B. Ward, an old mountaineer and trapper, and his Indian wife Sally, to assist us. Then there was an Indian family of four who got starved out and came to us for help. We took them in and fed them and gave them a room to themselves. Then Sally's brother, Indian John and his wife Madam, came so we took them in and fed them.”

January 5 1854
From the Book Giant of the Lord, Life of a Pioneer, By James S. Brown, Bookcraft Pubishers, Salt Lake City Utah, 1960. page 325.

Page 328

April 1854

“Elder Hyde called on the council for four or five Elders to Volunteer to go East and hunt up the Indian Camps. There were seven volunteered, namely, E. B. Ward, Isaac Bullock, John Harvey, J. Arnold, W.S. Muir, James S. Brown and one other whose name I have lost. Elder Hyde said that E. B. Ward, Isaac Bullock, and James S. Brown were three accepted from that list, while James Davis was taken for the fourth. The persons named were then sustained by the vote of the council, without a dissenting voice.”

Page 378, July 1854

“About Aug 3rd or 4th I rebaptized all the Elders, and baptized three of the first Shoshone women that ever came into the church. Their names were Mary, Sally Ward, and Corger.”

I am a G-Great-granddaughter of Sally. I have the obituary of Adelaide Exervia Brown taken from the Deseret News, Salt Lake City, UT, if you are interested.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bekah Capel 29 Jan 2000 2:20PM GMT 
clierley 23 Mar 2000 2:40PM GMT 
Bekah Capel 27 Mar 2000 5:58PM GMT 
clierley 28 Mar 2000 10:53AM GMT 
lookingfordea... 1 Aug 2011 5:18AM GMT 
mrstacymellio... 17 Jan 2012 1:22AM GMT 
kwest_3 10 Apr 2012 12:53AM GMT 
kwest_3 10 Apr 2012 12:57AM GMT 
bro56col 18 Apr 2013 5:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic