Search for content in message boards

looking for records or info--Army scout Fred HANS 1876-1879

Replies: 1

looking for records or info--Army scout Fred HANS 1876-1879

Posted: 24 Aug 2009 10:56AM GMT
Classification: Query

Some background info about Fred Hans for researcher’s reference--

"We-Chauch-Pe-Wan-Ge-Lah" =Lone Star, my grand uncle, Fred M. Hans, Army scout 1876-1879 (died in 1923) had a very colorful and well publicized but unsubstantiated or undocumented career. I am aware that many articles or stories have been published about him in many cities and various states and they mention many details about historical events that he was supposedly involved in. There is much info on him on the internet. However I am hoping someone may be able to find additional newspaper articles, official documents or government records in your court houses, local area libraries, historical societies, or other sources that reference Fred Hans (prior to 1900). I am looking for any info that might help me to verify or correlate any of the things that was said he did.

-reported (as a scout) to have tracked Sitting Bull into Canada and convinced him to return to US reservation.
-as a scout was supposedly present during chief Dull Knife’s escape from Ft Robinson
guard house--Thursday, Jan. 9th , 1879.
--as a scout, reportedly participated in the “Wounded Knee” massacre.
--was the official War Department investigator of “Custer’s Last Stand” at the Little Big Horn.
--was present or participated in numerous skirmishes or battles such as at Rosebud, Powder River, etc, with the Sioux or Cheyenne in Wyoming Territory during the 1870s and 1880s.
-- reported to have killed the notorious gang leader Shacknasty Jim at the infamous “Hole-in-the-Wall” in 1877.

Fred Hans was a scout and courier for the Army during what was known as the Sioux and Cheyenne Indian wars of the 1870s on the Northern or Western plains. Fred Hans scouted for General George Crook, Col. Nelson A. Miles, Col. Ranald Slidell MacKenzie, Lt Gen'l. Phil H. Sheridan, Gen'l A. H. Terry (among others). Fred was based with the army initially at the Red Cloud agency near the Camp or Ft Robinson and also the Spotted Tail agency. Fred Hans also frequently visited and assisted sheriffs and other military commanders or officials (Indian agents) at remote frontier outposts to search for and apprehend "renegade" Indians (including Sitting Bull) who escaped the reservations, or to search for, locate and return white women and their children who had been captured by the natives. During the later part of the 1870's as well as the 1880's, Fred "Lone Star" Hans was also able to use his scouting and gunfighting skills to track, locate, kill or arrest numerous notorious gang members of highwaymen (bandits), road agents, horse thieves, etc. who were killing the newly arriving (but trespassing) farmers or settlers. The bandits were also robbing gold prospectors or miners and their supply trains into the area of the Black Hills (or “Bad Lands”) including western Nebraska which had been previously designated by treaty as Indian Territory.

grateful for any info

Please contact

dadbrown_99@yahoo.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
db1297627 24 Aug 2009 4:56PM GMT 
BarbaraMunson... 1 Feb 2012 2:12AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions