Search for content in message boards

Tracing German ancestors in Australia - tips please?

Replies: 20

Re: Tracing German ancestors in Australia - tips please?

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 12:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Pip

BISA can be viewed at many Family History Libraries in book form or on CD. The CD can be purchased from Gould Genealogy.

I am convinced that J Friedrich A, wife Sophia and Joh Daniel arrived in 1854. Sometimes a wife may not have wanted to emigrate at the same time as the husband's family. When researching I look for common threads and cross reference all records so it was not difficult to link this family together.

Earlier this week I found marriage records for two KOEHNE daughters of Ludwig and they were in SA by 1850.

South Australian Marriages, Registrations 1842-1916

Groom: Gerd Friedrich Christian CORDES
Bride: Anna Margaretha KOEHNE
Date: 1850-05-26
Groom Age: 33
Groom's Father: [unrecorded]
Bride Age: 23
Bride's Father: [unrecorded]
Place: Chapel Happy Valley
District: Ade / Book/Page: 11/166

Groom: Juergen Heinrich HEITMANN
Bride: Margaretha Dorothea KOEHNE
Date: 1851-12-26
Groom Age: 33
Groom's Father: [unrecorded]
Bride Age: 20
Bride's Father: [unrecorded]
Place: Res of Mr Cordes Tapleys Hill
District: Ade / Book/Page: 11/216

Even though the Father was not named on the records and the marriages were in different places, I have known for many years that the CORDES family lived in the Concordia/Rosedale area where many of my German ancestors settled in the 1850s.

Over the last few days I have looked at every passenger list possible trying to find the arrival of the two adult KOEHNE daughters and found several possibilities. One was the ship EMMY that arrived 12 Jan 1850 but I dismissed that since the report of that ship said a male "KOHN and three sisters". There are at least three different transcriptions of passenger lists online are each have a somewhat different interpretation of the families named and that is not helpful for anyone.

I also checked Naturalisation records for every variation of the surname. Usually it was mostly men who applied for naturalization, and because sometimes women did apply, I also looked for CORDES and HEITMANN records. And there I had success for Margaretha Dorothea HEITMANN who as a widow stated very clearly that she arrived in Australia 12 Jan 1850 on the ship EMMY. The actual arrival was in Melbourne first then to Adelaide.

I am not yet convinced that Ludwig KOEHNE and wife Anna Margaretha arrived on the ship PAULINE in 1846 because there was a Heinrich KOEHNE at Morphett Vale in the 1850s, and his wife was named Adelheit.
The report of the PAULINE had emigrants with families and it was specifically stated “wife and family” for many, but not for H KOHNE.
And then there was another H KOHNE on the ship AUSTRALIA who arrived in 1849.

I did a quick search of an Archives website in Germany that mentions residents from Hannover who emigrated but haven't yet seen any of your KOEHNE family names.

Rhonda
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pipamay 17 Jan 2013 2:15AM GMT 
deeess 17 Jan 2013 8:20PM GMT 
RhondaEmbee 18 Jan 2013 7:46AM GMT 
pipamay 18 Jan 2013 8:21AM GMT 
Valsobo 18 Jan 2013 1:12PM GMT 
pipamay 21 Jan 2013 11:53AM GMT 
Valsobo 13 Jan 2013 6:40PM GMT 
pipamay 13 Jan 2013 10:15PM GMT 
Valsobo 13 Jan 2013 11:48PM GMT 
pipamay 14 Jan 2013 11:15AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions