Search for content in message boards

Tracing German ancestors in Australia - tips please?

Replies: 20

Re: Tracing German ancestors in Australia - tips please?

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 10:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Köhne, Koehne
Is BISA something I would have to purchase? Or is it freely available somewhere?

Rhonda, thanks. Yes, that death date I had 1846 was of course his arrival date on "Pauline". I am transcribing from my family's family tree book, written by my mum as told to her by my Dad's sister (as I understand it). By that generation, the writing is getting a bit squishy as the allotted spaces are very small.

How confusing on the different names... also the very similar names between generations! (Sorry, nothing you don't already know) My book says "Johannes Heindrich Das August Köhne" but his death record says "Johann Heinrich Friedrich August Koehne."

Also, I have his wife's name as Windhorn, not Windhom. That'll make a little difference.

Interestingly, I do have noted in my book, the name "Eugelmann" as the born name of HLA Köhne's wife, but that is all.... clearly that matches nicely with your information there about Ludwig and Anna Margaretta (Engleman. But, how did you connect them as parents of JHFA Koehne? Especially as it seems such a common surname.

It seems, if I am not mistaken, that 29 year-old JHFA and his wife and child came first (from my book) in 1846, then his parents HLA and AM Köehne in 1848 on "Alfred".

I wonder... that passenger listing you mentioned:

"The Hamburg passenger lists (on microfiche) name Joh Friedr Aug KOHNE, wife, and 8 y.o. son, from Bremen, on the STEINWAERDER that arrived in July 1854."

... perhaps that was a later trip taken rather than when they immigrated? Not that I imagine many people made trips to and fro, but I know of at least of my Scottish ancestors who did return twice. So... not likely, but certainly possible??

It's hard to let go of the (verbal) records I have and keep an open mind about them.... that they might even be WRONG!!

"Have you done an internet search for church records in Hanover? Or, have you sourced family information from church records at the Lutheran Archives in Adelaide?" No, none of this. Thank you. I'll see what I can find. Mostly on this journey I have relied on Ancestry.com. records and Trove. And Trove only in the past 3 months or so. What fun that site it!! :D

Thank you all!! This is great info for me and such a help. I am feeling less 'scared'.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pipamay 13 Jan 2013 9:09AM GMT 
Valsobo 13 Jan 2013 6:36PM GMT 
pipamay 13 Jan 2013 10:14PM GMT 
RhondaEmbee 13 Jan 2013 11:23PM GMT 
pipamay 14 Jan 2013 10:31AM GMT 
RhondaEmbee 14 Jan 2013 10:33PM GMT 
pipamay 16 Jan 2013 5:02AM GMT 
Valsobo 16 Jan 2013 10:19PM GMT 
pipamay 16 Jan 2013 11:49PM GMT 
Valsobo 17 Jan 2013 12:37AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions